ASSOCIATIONS, COURSES, AND EXAMINATIONS OF DENTAL SURGERY ASSISTANTS
The major organization for dental assistants, receptionists, and dental secretaries. Its aims are:
- To encourage the provision of facilities for practical and theoretical instruction for dental assistants in dental hospitals and colleges of further education, especially for those studying for the national certificate. Also, to improve and standardize the training of dental assistants.
- To assist the regular publication of articles of general interest to dental assistants and for study purposes, by means of its monthly journal. Also to form a library.
- To assist members in such matters as employment.
- To co-operate with the various organizations in dental profession in order to increase the standard of dental assisting.
- To organize meetings in all areas of the countries.
- To maintain a central headquarters to which all members may apply for advice and assistance
Some of the association are:
- British Association of dental auxiliaries
- British dental hygienists association
- Royal Society of health (dental and allied group)
- Dental therapy registration board of Nigeria.
NATIONAL CERTIFICATE IN DENTAL SURGERY ASSISTANTS
Courses for surgery assistants.
- DIPLOMA IN DENTAL HEALTH EDUCATION
- TRAINING OF OTHER AUXILIARIES PERSONNEL.
HINTS FOR EXAMINATION CANDIDATES
- Without consulting your notes write brief answers to the questions.
- Then ask your employer or a dentist to go through them with you.
- Learn to answer only the actual question.
- Do not put the extraneous matter. You will gain few marks for this and may lose some
- Answers should be written clearly, concisely, and intelligently, and the writing must be legible.
- When answering questions never refer to the information given in a previous answer. Each must be complete itself.
EXAMPLE OF TYPES OF MULTIPLE-CHOICE QUESTIONS
- State if the following statements are true or false:
- Oxygen cylinder is black
- Zinc oxide is a local anesthetic
- The heart beats 72 times a minute
- The pulmonary artery contains oxygenated blood.
2. Complete the following:
- Plaster is an ——–material
- Amalgam is a———material
- Codeine is an———
- Lignocaine is a———
3. Finish these sentences:
- Fluothane is to a general anesthetic as lignocaine is to a
- Full dentures are plaster as partials are to-
- Cribs are to orthodontic appliances as lingual bars are to-
- Pliers are to orthodontics as elevators are to-
4. Are the following items used as stated?
- Post crowns to restore vital teeth
- Copper ring impressions for full dentures
- Gold inlays for fractured incisors
- Silver points for orthodontic therapy.