In this article, the Healthsoothe team provides 25 amalgam tray set-up and 9 operative instruments - amalgam. These are the tools used during the procedure.
OVERVIEW OF SILVER COLORED FILLINGS AND Amalgam tray set-up
Dental amalgam is formed by combining mercury, copper, silver, and tin to made up of metal. Usually termed as “silver-colored” fillings, dental amalgam as been in existence more than a decade years ago and is used by dentists because it lasts longer and inexpensive compared to other fillings materials used for cavities like tooth-colored composites or gold fillings.
According to mouthhealthy.org, dental amalgam has been used by dentists for more than 100 years.
It possesses more strength and takes less time than tooth-colored fillings. Silver-colored fillings are the best to use to cover a large hole at the back teeth and can withstand force when chewing. Also, amalgam dries fast and is useful for areas of the mouth that are hard to reach and keep hard during placement. Amalgam is also an effective material for children that fair dentist or have a tough time during the filling procedure.
20 Dental Amalgam tray set-up instruments (Silver-Colored Dental Fillings)
- 2x2 Gauzes
- Topical Anesthetics
- Cotton Rolls
- Anesthetic Carpules
- Restorative Bur Block: Dental preparation bur sets bring together a series of burs that are designed to be used in a specific technique for preparing a patient's teeth for specific types of dental restorations.
- Articulating Paper: Articulating paper should be used to check for occlusal interferences, and the occlusion be adjusted if necessary
- Amalgam pellets
- Mouth Mirror
- Explorer/ Perio probe: the purpose of a periodontal probe is to measure pocket depths around a tooth in order to establish the state of health of the periodontium.
- Spoon Excavator: A Spoon Excavator has a spoon-shaped working end used to spoon out dental caries from the prepared cavity. The edges of the working end are sharp. Coming in various shapes and sizes they can be single or double-ended.
- Condenser: To pack and condense amalgam into interproximal areas of cavity preparation To pack and condense other restorative materials
- Discoid-Celoid Carver: Used to carve anatomical features and trim excess materials.
- Ball Burnisher: To smooth amalgam after condensing To contour matrix band before placement To perform initial carving of amalgam
- Cotton Forcep: They are used for holding cotton swabs during dressings for avoiding nosocomial infections.
- Articulating Paper Holder: Used for holding articulating paper when checking occlusion of dental restorations and teeth. Holding the paper with an instrument rather than fingers assures better and complete coverage of the restoration or teeth to be verified.
- Amalgam Carrier To carry and dispense amalgam for cavity preparation
- Wood Wedges: Dental wooden wedges are used to slightly pry the teeth apart if a cavity is in between two teeth allowing the dentist to fill the tooth easier.
- Matrix Band: A matrix band creates a temporary interproximal surface, and, when appropriate, a matrix retainer secures the matrix band in place.
- Tofflemire: a double inclined plane used for separating the teeth, maintaining the separation once obtained, or holding a matrix in place.
- Amalgam Well: an instrument used to smooth the surface of an amalgam filling.
- High-Speed Handpiece and Low-Speed Handpiece: A dental drill or handpiece is a hand-held, a mechanical instrument used to perform a variety of common dental procedures, including removing decay, polishing fillings
Let's take a look at other Amalgam tray set-up and fillings
OPERATIVE INSTRUMENTS - AMALGAM TRAY SET-UP
Spoon Excavator: To remove carious dentin. To remove temp cement, provisional crowns
Wood Wedges: To hold matrix band in place along the gingival margin of class II
Plastic Instrument: To carry composite material for cavity preparation, and shape composite, not for any other use
Micro Brush: Use to apply primer, dentin bond enamel bond, sealants
Mylar Strip: Thin clear strip used to isolate cavity prep, able to use cure light
Curing Light: To harden light-cure materials, bonding, composites, sealants, cement, build-up
Protective Eye Wear is among the Amalgam tray set-up: To protect the operator’s and assistant’s eyes during procedures
Finishing Strips: To finish and smooth interproximal surfaces
Bonding Agents: Acts as an adhesive between the tooth and the composite material
In this article, I have provided 25 amalgam tray set-up and 9 operative instruments. These are the tools used during dental fillings. If you have any suggestion or addition to what I have listed above feel free to let us know.
- Nutrients and Foods Essential for Your Dental Health
- 10 Basic Prophylaxis Tray Setup
- DENTAL TRAY SET-UP FOR CROWN PREP INSTRUMENTS
- Dental tray setup for composite fillings
- 7 ways Cosmetic Dentist Can Improve Your Life
- Daily Routine that Assures Whiter Teeth - Easy Way to Whiten Your Teeth.
- Dental Instruments And Their Uses
- Tenaculum forceps and their uses
- Sponge forceps and their uses
- Allis forceps and their uses
REFERENCES AND SOURCES
- The University of California, San Diego pre-dental society
- "Torres and Ehrlich Modern Dental Assisting;" Doni L. Bird, MA, and Debbie S. Robinson, MS; 2009