We’ve all been there before: you’re feeling bloated, uncomfortable, and constipated. You’ve tried everything from home remedies to over-the-counter medications, but nothing seems to work. If this sounds like you, then you may need a little help from Mother Nature in the form of these eight drinks that will make you poop immediately. From teas to juices and beyond, these drinks are all natural (and effective) ways to get your digestive system moving again. So if you’re feeling backed up, give one (or all) of them a try.
What Is Constipation?
Constipation essentially boils down to your stool being too hard and/or dry to be easily passed. This can be due to a lack of fiber in your diet, not drinking enough fluids, or certain medications. Constipation can also be a symptom of other underlying health conditions.
While there are plenty of over-the-counter laxatives that can help you poop, there are also some natural drinks that can help get things moving which I'm going to explain more in details below.
What Are The Symptoms Of Constipation?
The symptoms of constipation include;
- Hard, Lumpy or Dry Poop.
- Feeling unable to completely clear your bowels.
- Irregular Bowel Movement.
What Are The Causes Of Constipation?
- Dehydration: When the body doesn't have enough fluids, the stool can become hard and difficult to pass. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help keep things moving more easily through the digestive system.
- Low Fibre Diet Intake: This is a common causes of constipation among individuals. Fiber helps to add bulk to the stool and keeps things moving along smoothly through the intestines. Eating more high-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans can help alleviate constipation.
- Lack Of Exercise: When you don’t move or exercise your body regularly, your digestive system “falls asleep” which results in constipation. In order to prevent this, aim for 30 minutes of physical activity daily to kickstart your colon into working hard.
- Holding Poop In For A Long Time: Constipation gets worse the longer you hold in your poop. In some severe cases, Chronic constipation can sometimes result in fecal impaction, which is a lump of dry, hard stool stucked in your rectum.
- Traveling: Travelling alters your regular bowel movements (and probably your diet too). It can therefore be difficult to "go" while you're moving around.
- Medications: Certain medications can also cause constipation as a side effect. If you're taking any prescription or over-the-counter drugs, talk to your doctor about possible alternatives that don't cause this issue.
- Medical Conditions: Some medical conditions like hypothyroidism, IBS, or Parkinson's disease can lead to constipation. If you've been dealing with chronic constipation, it's important to see a doctor to rule out any underlying health problems.
8 Drinks That Make You Poop Immediately
There are a few things you can do to help ease constipation, including drinking more fluids. But what if you’re already drinking plenty of fluids and you’re still backed up?
Fear not! There are a few specific drinks that have a reputation and are loaded with dietary fiber and/or antioxidants for getting things moving along in your bowel. Here are eight drinks already experimented that will make you poop immediately:
Lemons are a rich source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that draws water to the intestines and enables the stool to be moistened, keeping it soft and easy to pass.
Lemon water can be consumed to stay hydrated as well as added to your diet. In order to ease your digestion over time, you can start by warming a glass of water and adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice each morning (use fresh lemon preferably).
Coffee is a great way to get things moving in the morning. The caffeine acts as a natural laxative that stimulates your digestive system and gets things moving along in your bowel within minutes. Just be sure to limit your intake, as too much coffee can have an unwanted side effects such as dehydration.
- Prune Juice
While you may not be too familiar with prune juice, it is a drink that has long been used as a natural remedy for constipation. And for good reason – prune juice is high in fiber and also contains sorbitol, potassium and magnesium, which are both known to promote movement in the bowel.
If you're looking for a drink to help get things moving, prune juice is a great option. Just be sure to start with a small amount – about 4 ounces – and work your way up to 8 ounces if needed.
Water is the best and most natural way to help with constipation. It can help to soften stool and make it easier to pass. It also helps to keep the intestines hydrated and functioning properly. Aim to drink eight glasses of water a day, or more if you are constipated. You can also try adding a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to your water for an extra boost.
- Herbal Tea
If you're feeling constipated, there are a few different herbal teas that can help you get things moving. Seanna tea is a popular choice, as it's made from an herb that's known for its laxative properties. Another option is peppermint tea, which can help to relax the muscles in your digestive tract and ease any discomfort. There's also chamomile tea, which can help to reduce inflammation in the gut. Whichever tea you choose, be sure to drink it regularly until your constipation has cleared up.
- Castor Oil
From the castor bean's seeds, castor oil is produced. It has anti-inflammatory qualities as well as beneficial fats. The FDA's has categorized castor oil as a stimulative laxative, which means it makes your intestinal muscles retract and induce bowel movement.
Castor oil is typically used in a tablespoon-sized dose to treat constipation. It tastes like petroleum jelly, so if you want a more enjoyable experience, you might want to mix it with a fruit juice.
If you're struggling with constipation, there are a few drinks that can help get things moving. Kombucha is a fermented tea that's rich in probiotics and enzymes that can aid in digestion. It's also a low-calorie, hydrating beverage that can help keep you regular. Try sipping on kombucha throughout the day or adding it to your diet in place of sugary drinks.
- Apple Juice
If you're constipated and looking for a quick fix, apple juice may be just what you need. The natural acids in apples help to break down food and move things along the digestive tract. This can help to relieve constipation and get things moving again.
Apple juice is also a good source of fiber, which can help to bulk up the stool and make it easier to pass. And, it's hydrating which can also be helpful in relieving constipation. Just be sure to choose 100% pure apple juice with no added sugar for the best results.
There you have it, 8 drinks that will make you poop immediately. If you're struggling with constipation, don't worry — there are plenty of drinks that can help. From coffee to prune juice, there's bound to be a drink that will get your system moving again. So next time you're feeling backed up, reach for one of these drinks and let nature take its course.