In this guide, we provide several troubleshooting ideas to help you address control board issues in your KitchenAid dishwasher. If you've encountered a situation where some of the buttons on your dishwasher are no longer responsive, it's highly likely that the control board is the source of the problem. To save on costs associated with professional service, consider trying the troubleshooting tips we offer in this article.
Kitchenaid dishwasher buttons not working (Some buttons not working and more buttons are failing as the weeks go by)
For instance, if you initially observed issues with only the smart wash button, but have since noticed this problem spreading gradually to affect other buttons, it's a clear indication that the issue may escalate over the next few months. In such a scenario, there's a high likelihood that all the buttons will eventually become unresponsive, potentially rendering the entire control panel non-functional.
None of the lights on the control panel come on (Nothing works, no lights)
While everything has been functioning properly, you might encounter a situation where you wake up to a completely unresponsive control panel. None of the LED lights, including those for start or cancel, illuminate.
Despite ensuring it's not a power issue by checking the breaker and fuses and following the troubleshooting steps outlined in our KitchenAid dishwasher starting problems guide, you find that even power cycling the unit has been ineffective in resolving the issue. This suggests a potential control board problem that requires further attention and troubleshooting.
Kitchenaid dishwasher control board repair- Fixes you should try
Perform a general inspection and fix what you find necessary
- Unplug the Dishwasher: First, ensure the dishwasher is disconnected from power. Unplug it from the electrical outlet or switch off the circuit breaker to ensure safety.
- Inspect the Key-Pad Ribbon Tail: Carefully examine the Key-Pad ribbon tail for any visible issues such as broken, shorted, corroded, or creased traces. These issues with the ribbon tail can affect the control board's communication with the keypad.
- Check for Loose Connections: Inspect all connections to the control board for any loose or disconnected wires or cables. Ensure all connections are securely fastened.
- Examine for Contamination or Corrosion: Look for any signs of contamination or corrosion around the keypad's perimeter, on the keypad ribbon tail, and at the unit's keypad connector where it connects to the control board. If you find any contaminants or corrosion, attempt to clear them. This can be done using a soft, lint-free cloth or a small brush to gently clean the affected areas. Be cautious to avoid causing any further damage.
- Reassemble and Test: After addressing these potential issues, reassemble any components you may have removed during the inspection. Plug the dishwasher back in or restore power by turning on the circuit breaker. Test the control panel to see if the issue has been resolved.
Read Also: KitchenAid Microwave Touchpad Problem
Pros and Cons of Kitchenaid dishwasher
- Quality and Durability
- Effective Cleaning
- Quiet Operation
- Sleek Design
- Limited Budget Options
- Repair Costs
Differences Between Kitchenaid Dishwashers and Miele Dishwashers
Miele is a premium brand, and its dishwashers are known for their high-end quality and performance. They tend to be more expensive than KitchenAid models.
Alternative to Kitchenaid dishwasher
Bosch dishwashers are known for their reliability, cleaning performance, and energy efficiency. They offer a variety of models with features like adjustable racks and quiet operation.
Replace the Control Board
In many cases, the most effective solution to resolve control board problems in your KitchenAid dishwasher, especially if you suspect the control board is burned, is to replace the part. If you decide to go this route, we recommend considering the Whirlpool W10243209 replacement control board.
Here are some key points to keep in mind regarding this replacement option:
- Whirlpool W10243209 Replacement Control Board: This is a genuine replacement part that includes the touchpad, new connectors, and everything you need for the replacement process. You can remove the circuit board from your old part and plug it into the new one.
- Replacement Process: The process of removing the broken control board is relatively straightforward. Typically, it involves removing 4-6 torx screws and disconnecting the wiring to take out the old board. If you lack previous experience in this type of work, you can find helpful step-by-step instructional videos on YouTube for guidance.
- Compatibility: While the part is labelled Kenmore, it is compatible with many dishwasher brands made by Whirlpool, including KitchenAid and Maytag.
- Verify Compatibility: It's advisable to check the compatibility of the replacement part with your specific dishwasher model. You can do this by typing your model number on the AmazonConfirmedFit pop-up to confirm whether the component will work with your machine.
- Return Option: If you happen to order the wrong part, Amazon usually allows returns for electronic components, so you have the option to return it.
Important Reminder: Before opting for the replacement part, make sure to eliminate all other potential causes of the fault, as control board issues can sometimes be mistaken for other problems. It's a good practice to thoroughly troubleshoot and confirm that the control board is the root cause of the dishwasher's malfunction.
If you're experiencing control board problems with your KitchenAid dishwasher, replacing the control board may be the most effective solution, especially if you suspect it's burned or faulty. The Whirlpool W10243209 replacement control board is a recommended genuine part that comes with the touchpad and new connectors, simplifying the replacement process.
While replacing the control board, keep the following key points in mind:
- The replacement process typically involves removing a few screws and disconnecting wiring from the old control board, and instructional videos on platforms like YouTube can be helpful for those with little experience in this type of work.
- The part, labelled as Kenmore, is compatible with various dishwasher brands made by Whirlpool, such as KitchenAid and Maytag.
- Verify compatibility by entering your dishwasher's model number on the AmazonConfirmedFit pop-up to ensure it works for your specific machine.
- Amazon usually allows returns for electronic components if you inadvertently order the wrong part.
However, it's essential to exhaust all other potential causes of the dishwasher's fault before proceeding with the replacement. Control board issues can sometimes mimic other problems, and a thorough troubleshooting process will help confirm that the control board is indeed the source of the malfunction.