Top 10 Nigerian superfoods and their health benefits
As we all know, Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that deliver multiple health benefits to our health and well-being. Today, Everyone seems to be eager to add more superfoods into their diets these days.
There are so many different types of superfoods lately and their benefits, but every superfoods must contain some combination of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other beneficial phytonutrients.
At Healthsoothe, we are interested in a healthy diet as well as the cultural ethics and biology effect of medicinal plants.
However, certain foods often provide better health benefits than others. We call them “superfoods.”
You’re probably already eating a lot of everyday superfoods like bananas, eggs, and broccoli, and maybe even some exotic one’s acai, and much more.
But today, I will share with you my top 10 superfoods. Under each one, I’ve given a summary of what it is, how to use it, a few of their many health benefits;
TOP 10 SUPERFOODS EVERYONE IN NIGERIA SHOULD BE EATING
Soybean is a vitamin and nutrient-rich superfoods which is fully parked with many disease-fighting nutrients. Soybeans contain high amounts of protein, including all essential amino acids (the only such vegetable source). Soybeans are also a rich source of calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, B-vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids and fiber.
Health benefits of Soybeans
- Soybeans reduce the risk of many ailments found lately in a female’s life such as osteoporosis and menopausal symptoms.
- It promotes a healthy heart
- It Promotes healthy bones
- It Prevents cancer
- And also reduce your risk of osteoporosis and kidney disease.
2. Amaranth vegetables
Amaranth leaves recipes has been the best vegetables so far in Nigeria because of the wide range of availability. We ate this plant often and can be found almost everywhere around the country.
Amaranth is one of the major superfoods grain. The vegetable is high in protein and delivers a lot of energy per serving. More importantly for people with gluten intolerance, amaranth is one of the gluten-free grains. Amaranth is also high in lysine, which is an amino acid often missing from other popular grains.
3. Avocado pear
Avocados are also one of the very superfoods you must not miss out daily. You can always consume it after peeling off the skin or blend them into soothing food and calming scent.
As we all know, a cup of avocado we supply you with high amounts of fiber, protein, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, and potassium.
Recently, A clinical study found out that eating avocados can improve the lipid profile of both healthy people and people with high cholesterol levels.
Health benefits of avocado pear
- It Contains More Potassium Than Bananas.
- It contains Monounsaturated Fatty Acids that makes our Heart-Healthy at all time. Avocados have a lot of Fiber.
- Avocados Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels if consumed daily.
All Beans as a lot of protein and fiber per serving. If you want to reduce your meat intake from your diet, beans we are a good substitute for you. Also rich in iron, which is one of the nutrients often lacking behind from a vegetarian diet. However, if legumes cause you stomach problems, you should avoid or reduce the intake of beans.
Health benefits of beans
- Protein source.
- Beans contain major nutrients, including folate.
- Antioxidant (disease-fighting).
- It improves heart health.
- It Reduced the risk of having cancer.
- It controls Diabetes and glucose metabolism.
- It Prevents fatty liver.
- Aids digestion.
5. Eggs white
Eggs white should be part of all Nigerian diet because they’re a cheap source of animal protein and they contain zero sugar and zero carbs. A single egg contains 6 grams of complete protein. Expert considered a complete protein source a Superfoods must provide adequate amounts of the 9 essential amino acids.
Health benefits of egg white Superfoods
- Eggs are a very good source of high-quality protein. More than half protein of an egg is found in the egg white along with vitamin B2 and lower amounts of fat and cholesterol than the yolk.
- The whites are rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron, and copper.
- Egg yolks contain more calories and fat. They are the source of cholesterol, fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, and lecithin.
6. Crassocephalum crepidioide (ebolo)
Ebolo is an erect annual herb Superfoods growing up to 180 cm tall. It is widespread in the southern and northern part of the country and across tropical Africa. Its leaves are used as a dry or fresh vegetable in a variety of dishes across the state, and as medicine for several different ailments in the country. The leaves of Crassocephalum crepidiode are commonly eaten in south-western Nigeria.
Health benefits of Ebolo (Crassocephalum crepidioide)
- It improves kidney
- In Nigeria the whole plant is either used for the cure of stomach ache, Traditionally, the leaf sap is also applied to sore eyes (filaria).
- The root of the plant is used to prepare a paste for external application to breast cancer patients, burns, and leprosy.
7. Ocimum gratissimum (Efinrin soup)
Each time I fall sick and my appetite is down, there’s this one Superfoods soup that literally brings me back to life- ocimum gratissimum(EFIRIN SOUP). Some Yorubas know it as a black soup (Obe dudu). This is one soup that you should never judge by its looks.
Scent leaf health benefit
- health beneﬁts such as body weight management
- Easy bowel evacuation
- Cleansing of the body system and control of body sugar
- Efirin or scent leaf (Ocimum gratissimum) is known for its medicinal functions which include aiding digestion, treating catarrh and malaria, treating nausea, wound healing, preserving food.
8. Original Honey Superfoods
Original Honey is a sweet, thick Superfoods substance produced by bees.
Honey gets its sweetness from the monosaccharides fructose and glucose and has about the same relative sweetness as sucrose (granulated sugar). Most microorganisms do not grow in honey, so the sealed honey does not spoil, even after thousands of years.
Honey provides 46 calories in a serving of one tablespoon (15 ml) equivalent to 1272 kJ per 100 g. Honey is generally safe, but may have various, potentially adverse effects or interactions upon excessive consumption,
- High-Quality Honey Is Rich in Antioxidants.
- Honey Is “Less Bad” Than Sugar for Diabetics.
- The Antioxidants in It Can Help Lower Blood Pressure.
- Honey Also Helps Improve Cholesterol.
- Honey Can Lower Triglycerides.
- Honey is the Best Natural Cough Remedies
Yogurt contains probiotics which are said to promote good health. Probiotics are the live bacteria and yeast that exist in fermented foods and cultured dairy products.
We already have a large population of bacteria and yeast living in our gut. When we eat probiotic foods, we contribute more healthy bacteria and yeast into our gut. By supplementing our gut’s microbiome with healthy, probiotic foods which helps our digestive system and improve our immune system and overall physical health
Health benefits of Yoghurt
- Helps with vaginal (bacterial and yeast), urinary tract and bladder infections
- Helps with inflammatory intestinal disorders, including inflammatory bowel disease
- Helps alleviate allergic conditions like asthma and eczema
- Reduces several risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Reduces several risk factors for intestinal cancers
- Reduces the rate of childhood respiratory infections
- Helps prevent tooth decay.
Watermelon is not just a refreshing Superfoods during the dry season or sunny day. This berry is also low in sugar and high in vitamin C and A. Also, watermelon contains lycopene, a pigment molecule that acts as a powerful antioxidant, protecting our body cells from damage.
Health benefits of watermelon
- Antioxidants: Vitamin C and Lycopene.
- Protection Against Diabetes.
- L-citrulline for Recovery.
- Promote health during the dry season
- Reduction of Severity and Frequency of Asthma Attacks.
- Helps You Lose Weight Faster.
- The Potassium in Watermelon Protects Nerve Function.
- Eradicate Inflammation.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Isreal olabanji is a dental assistant and public health professionals and has years of experience in assisting the dentist with all sorts of dental problems. My goal is to enlighten everyone in all aspects of health towards participating in fitness, Dental care, healthy recipes, child health, obstetrics, and more.