Have you ever heard of this statement; "Topamax ruined my life"? If you have, you might have wondered how this is possible, and how it can be avoided.
Today Healthsoothe will answer these questions and more. We will also give the various experiences of different people who claimed Topamax ruined their lives.
Not only will be sharing how Topamax can ruin lives, but we will also be sharing how you can recover from Topamax's devastating side effects, and even better how to prevent them and get the most out of Topamax.
Related ruined stories to read
How Invega Ruined My Life and What I Did to be Healthy Again
How Abilify Ruined My Life and What I Did To Be Healthy Again
How Doxycycline ruined my Life and what I did about it to be healthy again
Prolapse Is Ruining My Life | Living Your Life to The Fullest with Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP)
OCD Is Ruining My Life | Living with OCD – Can You Ever Escape It?
Firstly, let’s talk about Topamax
Topamax is a drug that is mainly used alone or with other medications to prevent and control seizures (epilepsy). Topamax belongs to a class of drugs known as anticonvulsants.
Its generic name is Topiramate.
Uses of Topamax
Topamax is prescribed for the following illness or conditions; Migraines, Diabetes, depression, fibromyalgia, obesity, uncontrolled impulse, bipolar disorder, alcohol addiction, seizures, and nerve damage.
Side effects of Topamax
The side effects of Topamax; Dizziness, weight loss, paraesthesia (pins and needles), somnolence, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, nasopharyngitis – common cold, depression, weight gain, anaemia, disturbance in attention, memory impairment, amnesia, cognitive disorder, mental impairment, psychomotor skills impaired, convulsion, coordination abnormal, tremor, lethargy, hypoaesthesia, nystagmus, dysgeusia, balance disorder, dysarthria, intention tremor, sedation, vision blurred, diplopia, visual disturbance, vertigo, tinnitus, ear pain, dyspnoea, epistaxis, nasal congestion, rhinorrhoea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, dry mouth, stomach discomfort, paraesthesia oral, gastritis, abdominal discomfort, nephrolithiasis, pollakisuria, dysuria, alopecia (hair loss), rash, pruritus, arthralgia, muscle spasms, myalgia, muscle twitching, muscular weakness, musculoskeletal chest pain, anorexia, decreased appetite, pyrexia, asthenia, irritability, gait disturbance, feeling abnormal, malaise, hypersensitivity, bradyphrenia, insomnia, expressive language disorder, anxiety, confusional state, disorientation, aggression, mood altered, agitation, mood swings, anger, abnormal behavior, crystal urine present, tandem gait test abnormal, white blood cell count decreased, bradycardia, sinus bradycardia, palpitations, leucopenia, thrombocytopenia, lymphadenopathy, eosinophilia, depressed level of consciousness, grand mal convulsion, visual field defect, complex partial seizures, speech disorder, psychomotor hyperactivity, syncope, sensory disturbance, drooling, hypersomnia, aphasia, repetitive speech (stuttering), hypokinesia, dyskinesia, dizziness postural, poor quality sleep, burning sensation, sensory loss, parosmia, cerebellar syndrome, dysaesthesia, hypogeusia, stupor, clumsiness, aura, ageusia, dysgraphia, dysphasia, neuropathy peripheral, presyncope, dystonia, formication (the sensation of insects crawling under the skin), visual acuity reduced, scotoma, myopia, abnormal sensation in eye, dry eye, photophobia, blepharospasm, lacrimation increased, photopsia, mydriasis, presbyopia, deafness, deafness unilateral, deafness neurosensory, ear discomfort, hearing impaired, dyspnoea exertional, paranasal sinus hypersecretion, dysphonia, pancreatitis, flatulence, gastrooesophageal reflux disease, hypoaesthesia oral gingival bleeding, abdominal distension, epigastric discomfort, abdominal tenderness, salivary hypersecretion, oral pain, breath odor, glossodynia, calculus urinary, urinary incontinence, haematuria (blood in urine), incontinence, micturition urgency, renal colic, renal pain, anhidrosis, hypoesthesia facial, urticaria, erythema, pruritus generalized, rash macular, skin discoloration, allergic dermatitis, swelling face, joint swelling, musculoskeletal stiffness, flank pain, muscle fatigue, metabolic acidosis, hypocalcaemia, increased appetite, polydipsia, hypotension, orthostatic hypotension flushing, hot flush, hyperthermia, thirst, influenza like illness, sluggishness, peripheral coldness, feeling drunk, feeling jittery, learning disability, erectile dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, hallucination, psychotic disorder, apathy, lack of spontaneous speech, sleep disorder, libido decreased, restlessness, crying, dysphemia, euphoric mood, paranoia, perseveration, panic attack, tearfulness, reading disorder, initial insomnia, flat affect, thinking abnormal, loss of libido, listless, middle insomnia, distractibility, early morning awakening, panic reaction, elevated mood, blood bicarbonate decreased, neutropaenia, apraxia, circadian rhythm sleep disorder, hyperesthesia, hyposmia, anosmia, essential tremor, akinesia, unresponsive to stimuli, blindness unilateral, blindness transient, glaucoma, accommodation disorder, altered visual depth perception, scintillating scotoma, eyelid edema, night blindness, amblyopia, calculus ureteric, renal tubular acidosis, stevens-johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme, skin odour abnormal, periorbital oedema, urticaria localized, limb discomfort, acidosis hyperchloraemic, raynaud’s phenomenon, face edema, calcinosis, mania, anorgasmia, panic disorder, disturbance in sexual arousal, feeling of despair, orgasm abnormal, hypomania, orgasmic sensation decreased.
If we look at the list of adverse effects associated with this, it is clear that Topamax is not very safe. Indeed, the list is very long.
Many of the side effects are even capable of ruining someone’s life, meaning that you shouldn’t wonder how Topamax can ruin someone’s life when someone says; “Topamax ruined my life.”
Tiredness, drowsiness, dizziness, loss of coordination, tingling of the hands/feet, loss of appetite, changes in how foods taste, diarrhea, and weight loss may occur.
Mental problems such as confusion, slowed thinking, trouble concentrating or paying attention, nervousness, memory problems, or speech/language problems may also occur.
If any of these effects last or get worse, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Remember that this medication has been prescribed because your doctor has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.
Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including bone pain, signs of kidney stones (such as severe back/side/abdominal/groin pain, fever, chills, painful/frequent urination, bloody/pink urine), unusual bleeding/bruising.
Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including rapid breathing, and fast/slow/irregular heartbeat.
A small number of people who take anticonvulsants for any condition (such as seizures, bipolar disorder, pain) may experience depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, or other mental/mood problems.
Tell your doctor right away if you or your family/caregiver notice any unusual/sudden changes in your mood, thoughts, or behavior including signs of depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, and thoughts about harming yourself.
Rarely, Topamax may cause a very serious eye problem, usually within 1 month of starting treatment. This eye problem can lead to permanent blindness.
Get medical help right away if any of these side effects occur: sudden vision changes (such as decreased vision, blurred vision), eye pain/redness.
This medication can rarely cause a serious metabolic problem (a high amount of ammonia in the blood), especially if you are also taking valproic acid.
Tell your doctor right away if you experience sudden/unexplained tiredness, vomiting, or mental changes (such as decreased alertness).
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, and trouble breathing.
In the US - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
How Topamax ruined my life – Read what other people said on this
On Drugs.com, Topamax has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 594 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention.
45% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 32% reported a negative experience, which puts Topamax on a spot. It’s not good for a drug to get that high a negative review.
Over the past week alone, I have talked to several people about their doctor visits. Each one of them had a different illness and each one of them was prescribed the drug Topamax.
I cannot help but wonder how it is possible that one medication can treat so many disparate illnesses. I suspect it cannot and the overreach is driven more by marketing than medicine.
This led me to do some digging into Topamax. What I found is not good. Topamax is prescribed for a broad scope of illnesses for which there is likely little evidence of its efficacy.
I will drop some of the bad experiences people went through while on Topamax so that you can read why people say that; “Topamax ruined my life.” The following experiences are gotten from Drugs.com;
- The first experience I will be dropping is from Partially blind who posted her experience while on Topamax. Here goes; “On Topamax and 6 years ago I had what I thought was a seizure and spots in my right eye. The spots NEVER went away. Other symptoms of this horrible drug-ITCHING, SEIZURES, HAIR LOSS, EXTREME HOT FLASHES, EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS, my doctor never, ever cared about any of it. I quit this awful drug in October 2016. Had a minor stroke shortly after. Do not take this drug if you want to stay healthy and keep your eye sight. I filed a complaint with the FDA and of course they didn’t care either. This drug is a result of greedy drug companies and FDA being lobbied to allow such a destructive drug. Doctors don’t care either. They all just keep making their money while patients end up with permanent damage that CANNOT be fixed.”
- Second one by Becca: “I was given Topomax about 2 months ago for recurring migraines; it did nothing but make my life . It a living nightmare. I started with complete loss of appetite followed by extreme nausea. After that, the psychological effects started. I become extremely paranoid; The anxiety and paranoia got worse and worse the longer I was on Topamax which was soon accompanied by intense depression. Next came the hallucinations; I would see paintings moving on the walls, see colors and shapes moving across the floor, and I would hear voices multiple times a day. I fully regret ever taking this drug, I want my life back.”
- Third experience is from an anonymous person who took Topamax for less than a month: “Had chronic migraines and was prescribed this medication. At first I had no migraines or headaches but then it got worse. I urge you to not take this medication If you have an alternative. It created a barrier in my conversations. I couldn’t comprehend what people were saying, had trouble creating responses and felt like I was drugged up all the time.”
- Fourth is from Erin Gibson: “Topamax ruined my life! Kaiser put me on it until my Psychologist said “get off of it if it’s not working” after I told her I had been on it for over a year! This medication caused tingling in my hands, feet ,face and caused me to see people’s faces in distorted ways like a horror film! My headaches are caused from a 2cm round tumor in my left temporal lobe near my cortex at the Hippicampos Hypathalamus, it causes light seizures and horrible right side brain headaches! Even though neurologists say it’s not connected, I know from reasearch it is connected and no one is helping me deal with the horrific debilitating headaches!So when Kaiser said “try Topamax”I said sure why not!I lost 2 years of my life with my son who was a jr in highschool, it’s a miracle my husband of 25 years stayed married to me ! Topamax ruined my life for 2 years.”
- Fifth one from Piggy who took Topamax for less than a month: “I was prescribed Topamax for migraines. At first it was amazing, my migraines stopped. But as my dose increased, I began having loss of memory, confusion, and severe panic attacks. These problems persisted for a whole year after stopping the drug. One plus—I have not had a migraine since. This drug changes your brain chemistry. Be really careful.”
- Aunt T who took Topamax for 1 to 2 years says; “I have been through so much with this medicine !! I ended up dizzy, confused, very irritable, pain behind my eyes so bad it would give me headaches every day. I was scared to death to drive as my perception was off, so bad sometimes it was like the road was moving not my car. I had memory loss and couldn't say things right or even do deposits at work, I felt as if my brain was trying to come out of my skull. On this I had to go to gyno because had abnormal periods and neurologist because of my head!! I too had breast , arm and leg pain to the point of couldn't wash my hair or get ready . My legs were so bad I couldn't make it up the stairs! My husband was scared I was scared I was losing my mind and had something major wrong with me. This medicine wreaks havoc on your body and brain and eyes !!! NIGHTMARE DRUG....... I stopped it 3 days ago and getting better already... I'm 42 and a healthy person or was!!”
- From Panda who took Topamax for 6 months: “I took Topamax because I was getting migraines nearly every day and other treatments failed. I was not informed of any serious side effects. I had never had a panic attack before, but I was getting them frequently on Topamax. They were so intense I did not know what to do. I did not feel like myself at all, I felt like a different person or empty shell of myself. I went to my primary care (neurologist prescribed) and she said she was treating several other patients for similar severe panic attacks from Topamax. The drug stays in your system so long, it was an awful feeling. I was just relieved to know it was the medicine and I wasn’t totally losing it. I have never tried migraine prevention medications since (this was 13 years ago) because it was such an awful experience.”
- Number 8 experience is from Mona was on Topamax for 6 months: “I started topamax at one 50mg tablet and I was okay the first weeks. Then I couldn’t eat at all I was hungry but I couldn’t eat and I started developing anxiety and depression and really dark thoughts. I stopped it for 2 weeks and decided to give it another try and that same night I took the dose I had horrible anxiety and just didn't feel safe from myself. This medicine is horrible”
- From Ckaz: “A very dangerous medication. I was prescribed it for headaches. Many side effects were problems I was already having. I told my doctor about I, and so did my wife on many occasions. The doctor said keep taking it, the good out ways the bad. And if I don't take it. They will not try a new.medication,or see me again. So I tried it for 21 days. Hallucination, didn't no if I was awake or dreaming. Many bad things. Then out of know where. I shot myself under the chin. Somehow I survived. After coming out of coma and many surgeries. I did more study on the medicine. I'm 46. In the testing of this drug. 31% of all males between 41 & 49 committed suicide on it. That's one in three males. All within the first 30 days. So I was failed by my the docs”
- The last and tenth experience I will drop is from a student who took Topamax for 6 months: “I've been suffering from migraines for over 10 years now and 5 years ago I started with propanolol, then depakine which didn't help and and now topamax eventually. Topamax is awful. It made me feel suicidal. I started with 25mg and followed the 4 week steps in upping the dose like the Dr said. My family started to see a personality change instantly. When I reached the 100mg 2/day dose things started to get worse. For 3 weeks I was nauseous, I couldn’t get up, started to feel stupid, I had exams and I couldn’t focus at all, strange taste in mouth, numbness hands and feet and the tiredness. I slept for days and was still tired. This medication is DANGEROUS. I never wanted to die so badly. Please think about this.”
Reading through all the above experiences, you can see for yourself how possible this statement is; “Topamax ruined my life”
Now, how has Topamax ruined my life, or how can it ruin yours?
If we look at the list of adverse effects associated with this drug, it is clear that Topamax is not very safe. Indeed, the list is very long, and this contributes to the fact that it can ruin your life.
According to the FDA and their listed label update in 2014, Topamax includes a black-box warning that has the following known adverse effects which show how it can ruin your life:
- Acute myopia and secondary angle closure glaucoma: Untreated elevated intraocular pressure can lead to permanent visual loss. And losing your eyesight isn’t something in your books at all. Being blind can hamper your life since eyesight is one of the five senses that the body depends on.
- Visual field defects: These have been reported independent of elevated intraocular pressure. This leads to poor eyesight or blindness in the long run, and this can complicate your day-to-day activities.
- Oligohidrosis and hyperthermia: Monitor decreased sweating and increased body temperature, especially in pediatric patients. This makes you look always pale and sickly looking, and even the elevated temperature is a big no-no. And of course, I can’t imagine companies hiring sickly-looking people, and you know what this means for you.
- Metabolic acidosis: increases acidity in your body which could lead to toxicity of the body system, and thus fatal complications.
- Suicidal behavior and ideation: Antiepileptic drugs increase the risk of suicidal behavior or ideation. Having this kind of tendency will land you in the psych ward, get you fired, and cut you off from friends and family.
- Cognitive/neuropsychiatric: Topamax may cause cognitive dysfunction. Depression and mood problems may occur in epilepsy and migraine populations. No need to talk about these. Of course, you know what it means for your cognition to be impaired. This means you won’t understand simple concepts, not to talk of complex ones., you are having the thinking faculty of a toddler and you lack control over your emotions. With all these, your future seems bleak if proper and immediate treatment and care are not taken.
- Fetal Toxicity: Topamax use during pregnancy can cause cleft lip and/or palate. This leads to giving birth to malformed children. And you know what happens to such children in today’s society when they grow up. Some of these kids might end up committing suicide or always staying indoors due to the degree of their malformation and ruining their lives in the process as well as crushing the hopes the parents had for them.
- Withdrawal problems: Some people want to stop taking Topamax but due to the severe withdrawal symptoms associated with it, they can’t stop the medication except proper therapy is used. So what does this say about Topamax? This means that Topamax is like those hard drugs (cocaine, marijuana, e.t.c.) we hear of this aspect. Getting addicted to Topamax is bad because it can lead to you overdosing on it which can cause severe side effects, and, of course, it makes you look like a drug addict, and you know what happens to drug addicts these days.
- Hyperammonemia and encephalopathy associated with or without concomitant valproic acid use: Patients with inborn errors of metabolism or reduced mitochondrial activity may have an increased risk of hyperammonemia. This leads to toxicity which is fetal for your body system,
- Kidney stones: This kidney problem makes your kidney inefficient, and you know how important the kidney is to the body. People with damaged kidneys do not live long.
The Problem: Brain Slowing
Topamax may cause brain function to slow down. Why? Topamax is a voltage-dependent calcium channel blocker (also called voltage-gated calcium channel blocker), which is a key channel for neuron communication via neurotransmitter release.
Topamax is systemic, meaning it doesn’t just act on a particular type of neuron but all neurons.
This means that neurons that are responsible to organize how the heart beats, how the lungs function, how you blink, and how you digest are all negatively affected by Topamax.
The neurons cannot release neurotransmitters and so the communication between hormones of the brain and the hormones of the body is broken.
Many of the side effects of Topamax are so strong that migraineurs who start Topamax stop within weeks (some on day 3) of initiating this medication are in danger of brain slowing.
So all these show how “Topamax ruined my life”, though I have never used Topamax before, meaning it didn’t ruin my life.
But this isn’t the point here. I aim to show the potential that this drug has to complicate your health, thereby ruining your life.
Therefore, one has to be careful, and know what’s suitable for his/her body system and stick to that, because living healthily makes you ever ready and able to enjoy life to its fullest. So please be informed.
Always get the go-ahead from your doctor before engaging in certain medications to use what’s best for you, because some medications will never be suitable for you.
Just because Topamax worked for someone you knew, doesn’t mean it will work for you. Always confirm with a professional health practitioner first.
How Topamax ruined my life and how I recovered
Once again, I’m sorry as I cannot cite my personal experience with Topamax as I have never used it, but I have dropped the experience others had on Topamax earlier above, so you can read up there on the issue of “how Topamax ruined my life.”
So now. I am not going to drop those experiences again; rather I am going to let you know how to recover from Topamax.
Yes, you can recover from Topamax ruining your life. It isn’t a death sentence, nor is it like cancer or HIV. You can recover if you set your mind to it.
Firstly, you need to follow up on the warnings and precautions, avoid possible drug interactions, and consult your doctor for treatments.
There are alternatives to Topamax. Meet your doctor so that he can recommend or prescribe the right one for you.
If you put your mind to it, you are serious, determined, and unwavering, as well as resourceful, then trust me, you are on your way to recovery because there are various therapies and treatments already available.
All you have to do is find the right ones, then you are good to go.
How to use Topamax to get the most out of it (Warnings and Precautions)
The following instructions will really help you to avoid side effects while on, before, and after using Topamax;
- Do not share this medication with others.
- Laboratory and/or medical tests (such as eye exams, and bicarbonate blood level) should be performed periodically to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
- Before taking Topamax, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: glaucoma, kidney problems (such as kidney stones), liver problems, lung/breathing problems, mental/mood problems (such as depression, thoughts of suicide), a certain metabolic imbalance (metabolic acidosis), a diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates (ketogenic diet), weak/brittle bones (osteoporosis).
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy or affect your thinking/coordination. Alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) can worsen these effects. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs alertness until you can do it safely. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Talk to your doctor if you are using marijuana (cannabis).
- Topamax may make you sweat less, making you more likely to get heat stroke. Avoid doing things that may cause you to overheat, such as hard work or exercise in hot weather, or using hot tubs. When the weather is hot, drink a lot of fluids and dress lightly. If you overheat, quickly look for a place to cool down and rest. Get medical help right away if you have a fever that does not go away, mental/mood changes, headache, or dizziness.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
- Children may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially weakened bones, slowed growth rate, and decreased sweating. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially dizziness. Dizziness can increase the risk of falling.
- During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when needed. It may harm an unborn baby. However, if you are taking this drug to treat seizures, note that untreated seizures are a serious condition that can harm both a pregnant woman and her unborn baby, so do not stop taking this medication unless directed by your doctor. Discuss the use of reliable forms of birth control with your doctor (see also Drug Interactions section). If you are planning pregnancy, become pregnant, or think you may be pregnant, immediately talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of using this medication during pregnancy.
- This medication passes into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
- Consult your pharmacist or physician if you don’t know what to do.
- Know Topamax drug interactions so as to know what to avoid while on Topamax.
There is no way you won't be safe while using Topamax if you check out all these.
Topamax drug interactions
You got to know the drug interactions of Topamax to know what to avoid taking into your body when on Topamax because there are some things or conditions you are on, that taking Topamax will prove harmful, even fatal for you.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects.
Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist.
Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval. A product that may interact with this drug is orlistat.
This medication may decrease the effectiveness of hormonal birth control such as pills, patches, or rings. This could cause pregnancy.
Discuss with your doctor or pharmacist if you should use additional reliable birth control methods while using this medication.
Also tell your doctor if you have any new spotting or breakthrough bleeding, because these may be signs that your birth control is not working well.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking other products that cause drowsiness including alcohol, marijuana (cannabis), antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine), drugs for sleep or anxiety (such as alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem), muscle relaxants (such as carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine), and opioid pain relievers (such as codeine).
Check the labels on all your medicines (such as allergy or cough-and-cold products) because they may contain ingredients that cause drowsiness. Ask your pharmacist about using those products safely.
Better and safer alternatives to Topamax
Still on the issue of recovering from how Topamax ruined my life; If Topamax didn’t work for you, it doesn’t mean other medications or treatments out there won’t also work for you.
After refraining from treatment with Topamax, consult your doctor and find other treatments out there that are better, safer, and more efficient than Topamax.
Topamax isn’t the only medication out there for the treatment of migraines, seizures, and others.
I assure you that they are other drugs and meds that are more than suitable and compatible for your body system with little or no side effects, so stop reminiscing on “ how Topamax ruined my life”, and go treat your ailment or condition that made you take Topamax in the first place and then recover your health.
The following are good alternatives to Topamax;
- Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol, others)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek)
- Valproic acid (Depakene)
- Oxcarbazepine (Oxtellar, Trileptal)
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
- Gabapentin (Gralise, Neurontin)
- Zonisamide (Zonegran)
Consult with your doctor on which alternative to use to get the one most suitable for you.
What will happen if I miss significant doses of Topamax and what do I do?
Nothing much will happen. Just that if you have missed significant doses of the drug, it will not be effective or potent enough to treat you for the ailment you took it for.
Do the following if you have missed dose on significant doses;
- If you forget to take one or more doses: take your next dose at the usual time and in the average amount. Do not take any more than your doctor prescribed.
- If you miss one dose, skip it and continue with your normal schedule.
- Do not increase the dosage to catch up with the missed doses.
- You should consult your doctor on what to do if you don’t know what to do.
What will happen if I overdose on Topamax and what do I do?
Overdosing on Topamax can lead to serious side effects which I have outlined earlier in this article like severe drowsiness, loss of consciousness, brain damage, and e.t.c.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911 (for US residents) or your healthcare provider’s number.
Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canadian residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Is Topamax FDA approved?
Yes, Topamax is FDA-approved, but a lot of warnings and precautions have been issued, and there have been lawsuits that have been filed against the drug's manufacturer Ortho MacNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and its parent company Johnson & Johnson.
It is said that Topamax makers have also paid fines for improperly promoting the drug to treat bipolar disorder, drug and alcohol dependency, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and others.
Although it is illegal for drug makers to promote drugs for off-label uses, doctors can legally prescribe any drug they consider appropriate to treat a patient's condition.
Final words from Healthsoothe on the issue of “how Topamax ruined my life”
Honestly, off-label prescribing has gone too far! Does Topamax really treat so many disparate conditions that doctors prescribe it for everything, even when it is not FDA approved for these conditions?
I must add that Topamax is one of the most dangerous drugs in the prescription market today.
Not only is it a diet pill made from sugar derivatives (actually a sugar substitute) but it uses two dangerous methods (blocking both voltage-dependent calcium and voltage-gated sodium channels at once) to achieve what several classes of drugs normally do separately; and thus, with one medicine it affects and potentially damages the two circuits that are critical for brain function.
Topamax is difficult to quit. The most difficult problem is that some doctors are under the false impression that a drug that blocks the voltage-dependent calcium and potassium channels can just be easily stopped by a few days of reduction.
However, since the voltage-dependent calcium channel is a high voltage channel, for some people the discontinuation may end in seizures.
Evidence is also accumulating that Topamax can cause brain damage and I have heard of many cases where it has done just that.
Topamax is a sugar substitute that failed as a diet pill but is somehow permitted by the FDA to be used for epileptic seizures.
It also received approval for use against migraines. The reasons for such a turn of events are unclear; how can a drug that fails approval for a diet pill suddenly be a perfect match for seizures and migraines?
Don’t we all wish for the sugar pill to be a pain killer? Unfortunately, sugar or sugar substitutes do not have such serious adverse effects as Topamax (they happen to have different ones).
Let’s all be informed. Our health is not to be trifled with.
Take note of the foods you eat, the medications and treatments you use, the drinks you drink, the creams you rub, and even the various lifestyles we live, because when your health is down, you won’t get the energy to enjoy life.
Bad health is bad for business, whereas good health keeps you on the go.
So please dear readers, always be careful with your health, and always make sure to get the go-ahead from a professional medical doctor before engaging in certain medications so as not to regret it later.
All right, guys, that is it for now on the issue of “Topamax ruined my life”. I hope Healthsoothe answered any questions you had concerning this.