Oral health and hygiene are pivotal to a healthy lifestyle. To maintain good oral hygiene, you need to undertake different measures such as brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing, visiting your dentist twice a year and more. This will ensure that you enjoy both - good oral health as well as general health. Thus, today, let's check out some of the proven tips to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Tips to Keep Teeth and Gums Healthy
There are a number of reasons to ensure that correct hygiene for oral health is followed. Ignoring it could lead to cavities, gum issues, tooth decay or worse yet oral cancer. Thus, to avoid this, follow the below-mentioned tips to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
1. Floss daily: Flossing is used to clean and remove the plaque stuck between the teeth. These are the areas where it is difficult for the toothbrush to reach. The daily practice of flossing can prevent issues like gingivitis and tooth decay. If flossing is avoided or neglected, plaque and tartar will build up under the gums and cause issues like periodontal disease. It may also lead to tooth loss and bone destruction.
The correct way to floss is to wrap the floss between the fingers and insert them in the area between the two teeth and gently slide them around the gumline two to three times. You could also use mouthwash if flossing seems painful or difficult.
2. Visit the dentist: Visiting the dentist every six months will help maintain good oral health and let you keep that beautiful smile. A routine check-up twice a year can prevent the build-up of plaque or tartar. It can prevent cavities, tooth decay and gum diseases. Also, the dentist can screen you for early signs of dental issues and recommend necessary treatments to prevent them.
If you need a recommendation for your family and yourself, you can opt for deep teeth cleaning with the kid's dentist in Modesto.
3. Smoking: For preventing any stains on your teeth, quit or reduce smoking. A superficial stain can be removed by professional teeth cleaning. However, over time, smoking can erode the enamel of your teeth, leading to various dental issues. It can also damage your gums. Thus it is best to avoid it completely.
4. Limit Coffee, tea and red wine: Excessive coffee, tea and wine can also stain your teeth. Whereas, sugary tea and coffee can affect the tooth enamel. Drinking through a straw can help reduce the damage of tooth decay. However, limiting your intake is the best possible option for healthier teeth. Plus, rinsing your mouth with water after consuming these beverages can also help maintain good oral hygiene.
5. Teeth whitening products: There are various teeth whitening products available in different forms like toothpaste, gel pens, strips, rinses, custom trays, over the counter trays etc. However, you should choose a product that is most suitable for you based on how your teeth will react to it. Toothpaste and rinses are best suitable for people who consume caffeine, including coffee and tea. Whereas, custom trays and laser whitening treatments provide the most effective and dramatic results of teeth whitening.
6. Toothbrushes: An electric toothbrush is proven clinically to be more effective in plaque removal. It also helps in achieving healthier gums than a manual toothbrush. However, soft bristles manual brushes are also the best option available in the market if you do not want to use an electric toothbrush. Just note that the bristles play a vital role in cleaning the teeth and gums, so it is important to choose wisely. How to clean your teeth – Step-by-Step Guide
7. Water: The healthiest drink available that also helps in good oral hygiene is water. Plenty of water should be consumed during the day, as it helps keep the teeth clean and prevents tooth decay. Tap water contains a small amount of fluoride that is recommended for your teeth and gums. Also, drinking plentiful water will ensure that there is a continuous flow of saliva in your mouth, which will prevent bad breath.
8. Dental Treatments: Any form of tooth decay can escalate quickly into a tooth abscess if not treated. Likewise, instead of a filling, you might need a root canal or crowning. Thus, early and timely dental check-ups can help maintain the stability & structure of the tooth and keep the dental treatment costs to a minimum.
To sum up;
A healthy smile not only improves your oral/general health but also boosts your confidence. Drink enough water, avoid foods that are bad for your teeth, brush twice a day and floss, avoid smoking and excessive tea & coffee. This will ensure that you have a bright smile always.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?