The ketogenic diet has become more mainstream over the past year thanks to mamalette that enlightened us on the Nigerian ketogenic diet. While there’s still much to learn about the low-carb, high-fat diet and how it affects the body, experts have found that the benefits are greater than weight loss alone.
As we all know, the keto diet consists of high-fat foods, and we take in adequate proteins more than carbohydrates. The carbohydrates we consume are normally converted into glucose, which is then transported throughout the body and is particularly important in enhancing the brain function.
This keto diet pushes the body to burn more fats rather than carbohydrates. If there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver then converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass through the brain and replace glucose as an energy source.
Can the Nigerian Keto Diet Improve Your Skin?
I have here many stories of people having clearer skin, more energy, and sharper cognition, to confirm that the Nigerian keto diet may improve the skin.
According to a certified dermatologist, “Inflammation cause certain forms of acne and arthritis.” So, it is possible for you to reduce inflammation caused by acne through a nutritional ketosis diet, as well as other conditions. There are many factors that influence acne, and if inflammation is what causes breakouts, it is certain that your diet could help manage it.
According to Popsugar fitness, “The keto diet and low-carb diets are helpful in making the skin stay manageable and satin-smooth.” A diet high in sugar can trigger diabetes, which then induces glycation, “where modified sugars destroy the skin tissues, which cause the hardening of arteries and other tissues.” Later, the skin becomes less flexible and more likely to wrinkle, the article said.
According to most Nigerian ketogenic groups, if you want to join, you’ve to be really serious about losing weight and want to create a new lifestyle for yourself, and have a viable diet plan ready before you jump in.
The whole aim of this diet is to enter a state of ketosis. The more you adhere to this your carbohydrate plan (less than 10g per day), the faster you achieve the ketogenic state.
Your daily nutrient intake should be around 70% fats, 25% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. You also need to limit your carbohydrates coming from vegetables, nuts, and dairy (milk and milk products). Say no to flour, starch, and fruit. Yes, most types of fruit are not allowed.
Nigerian Foods Recommended on a Ketogenic Diet
The following are what you can eat on a Nigerian ketogenic diet:
- Meat: Red meat, organ meat (shaki, liver, kidney), sausage, bacon, lamb, pork, veal, chicken, and turkey.
- Fatty fish: You can buy tilapia fish, tuna, mackerel, eggs, butter (not margarine) cheese mayonnaise, catfish, haddock.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts.
- Fats and Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, almond oil, and sesame oil.
- Low-carb fruits: Avocados, coconut.
- Low-carb vegetables: Ugwu, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, okro, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumber, cabbage, lettuce leaves.
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper, and various healthy herbs and spices.
Here is a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:
- Sugary foods: Soft drinks, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, sweets.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, noodles.
- Fruit: All fruit
- Beans or legumes: Peas, beans.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Yam, plantain, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbohydrates.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar, e.g. ketchup.
- Unhealthy fat: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can affect your diet Due to its carbohydrate content.
What are the meal options for Nigerian lchf recipes?
Most diet plans often include the following foods for breakfast: fried eggs, bacon and eggs, sausage and also boiled eggs, avocado, and cucumber.
Most diet plans often include the following foods for lunch and dinner:
- Chicken/beef and veggies
- Chicken/beef/fish pepper soup
- Chicken/beef/fish suya
If you follow this diet very well for up to 4 weeks, then you will see quick results and weight loss. It may seem difficult for the first 3 days but once your body is able to adapt quickly to these to changes and adjust, you will be fine. You might notice a slight headache, a little fever, but all will go in less than 5 days.
Keto-Friendly Snack to Try
A pecan pie recipe for keto is a healthy and keto-friendly snack you can try whenever you want to indulge in something sweet without the guilt. Help manage your weight by sticking to a keto diet plan and overall lifestyle, while giving yourself a treat with this delightful keto recipe.
Risks on Keto Diet
As with any other super low-carb diet, keto will lead to quick weight loss in a short period of time. It’s important to note that there may be health risks not only from low carbohydrate intake, but also from the extremely high-fat intake.
Because there is too much pressure on the liver, the ketogenic diet can lead to an enlarged liver. High-fat diets can lead to coronary artery disease as well as cerebrovascular strokes. Having a balanced diet matters! Consumption of too much carbohydrate or protein on a keto diet can potentially lead to organ failure.
Why Visit a Dermatologist for Skin Problems
While a ketogenic diet can help improve skin health, you should always undergo regular skin checkups with the help of a skin professional. A dermatologist can help evaluate, diagnose, and treat different skin conditions, including prescribing medications and performing dermatological procedures. Dermatologists have in-depth clinical knowledge and can treat over 3,000 skin conditions, including internal health problems that could cause skin symptoms.
Avoid self-medication and self-diagnosis if you don’t have any medical background. Seeking an expert’s help is a smart move to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment. Guessing what a skin aberration or abnormal appearance can be detrimental to your overall health. Even just a small mole that enlarges or changes in color can already indicate early skin cancer.
Regularly visiting your dermatologist can help shed clarification on any skin marks or skin lesions, and provide prompt treatment as necessary.
Here are the important benefits of visiting a dermatologist:
- It’s important to regularly visit a dermatologist to get expert help when diagnosing and treating skin, hair, and nail problems.
- You have peace of mind that your skin health is assessed and tracked by obtaining your medical and family history to prevent skin cancer and skin complications.
- A dermatologist is certified and licensed to diagnose different skin conditions, such as herpes or shingles, psoriasis, eczema or atopic dermatitis, acne vulgaris, and skin cancer.
- By working with an experienced dermatologist, you’ll obtain the right treatment to resume routine activities.
Before visiting a dermatologist, it’s essential to find out if you’re dealing with a fully licensed dermatologist because some spa and beauty clinic practitioners call themselves dermatologists but aren’t qualified or accredited.
A Word From Healthsoothe
PLEASE understand and stick to a recommended plan or one from an expert breakdown in line with what you have known for years that saturated fats don’t cause heart disease. However, high fat intake from unreliable meals can still increase blood lipids, which automatically increases the risk of heart diseases, too.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?