Hair loss is found in everyone: from young children to older people. In teenagers, the reason for hair loss can be puberty and stress, while old people can blame aging for hair fall. Performing workouts on a regular basis have become common in recent years. According to research studies, lifting weights is not directly linked to hair loss. What is the link between hair loss and weight lifting then? How female hair loss treatment can fix this problem. This article discusses the link between weight lifting and hair fall. If you lift weights and also have hair loss issue, this topic is for you.
It is true that mental or physical stress can lead to mild to severe hair loss problem. It comes as no surprise that lifting heavy weights on a regular basis can put physical and mental pressure on the person. In turn, the person can suffer from hair loss due to this reason. For males and females, a hair loss treatment can try to fix hair fall no matter what the reason is.
How lifting weights affects the health of the hair?
Weight lifting does not directly affect the health of the hair. For people with weak hair, minor weight lifting can trigger significant hair fall. Two-thirds of American men will experience some degree of appreciable hair loss by the age of 35, suggests the American Hair Loss Association. Some 85 percent suffer from significant hair thinning by 50, they add.
Hair loss can start early in men: 25% of males may experience it around age 21. Male pattern baldness is a common form of hair loss in men. 95% of male pattern baldness is genetic and can run in families. Furthermore, the following can also cause this problem:
- Severe and prolonged stress or illness
- Nutrient deficiencies due to malnutrition
Besides these causes, there can be some special causes such as the loss of hair after or during pregnancy. Now, let’s come to the actual topic. Dr. Jeffrey Rawnsley, who is the director of the Rawnsley Hair Restoration Clinic clinical and associate professor of facial and plastic surgery at UCLA, is considered a notable expert in this area. He has been studying the link between weight lifting and hair loss. A CNN representative has asked this question and here are his views.
Hair follicles can shrink when testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This mostly happens to the people who are genetically susceptible to this. The duration of the hair growth cycle extends from 3 to 5 years. That is why the effects such as follicle shrinkage become noticeable when a person starts weight lifting. Another reason is that weight lifting causes a transient increase in testosterone.
How Does Female Hair Loss Treatment can Help?
There are different types of hair loss treatments. A hair loss treatment can make significant improvements to the hair. An expert can suggest a suitable option after checking the level of hair loss you have. So you need to consult a professional to learn more.
Stopping hair loss due to weight lifting: the Bottom Line
You have read the effects of lifting weights and hair loss. In the end, we can say that there can be many reasons for hair loss and suitable treatment can cure this serious issue effectively and safely. You have also read how female hair loss treatment can fix the hair fall problem.
If you need more details about this topic, please contact one of the experts in your area to learn more about it. To schedule a consultation session with a professional in your area.
References and Further Study
- Can heavy weight exercise cause hair loss? CNN: edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/11/19/weight.lifting.hair.loss.jampolis/index.html
- Could your workout be making you BALD? Gym habits can accelerate hair loss, warn experts. Express UK: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/662431/gym-habits-can-accelerate-baldness-warn-experts-protein-can-cause-hair-loss-workout
- Lifting Weights & Hair Loss. Healthfully: https://healthfully.com/322817-lifting-weights-hair-loss.html
- Doing weights won’t speed up balding, but certain supplements could. Honey Coach: https://coach.nine.com.au/fitness/doing-weights-and-balding-explained/db5bc387-9a25-4fb9-bd29-106d43794200
- How does weightlifting not cause hair loss? Body Building: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174372431&page=1
- Lifting Weights And Hair Loss: Bad For Your Hair? Hair Loss Talk: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/lifting-weights-and-hair-loss-bad-for-your-hair.114299/
- Lifting the Lid on Hair Loss. The Belgravia Center: https://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/a-weight-off-your-shoulders-lifting-the-lid-on-hair-loss025/
- Does weight training cause hair loss? Milan Stolincny: milanstolicny.com/does-weight-training-cause-hair-loss/