A straight set of teeth doesn’t just look beautiful but comes with a big list of health benefits. Crooked teeth affect your dental and overall health. There is a high risk of tooth decay as they cannot be cleaned properly. Protruding teeth are more prone to injuries, and gaps within teeth put undue pressure on the gums and teeth. Crooked teeth even result in gum inflammation and infection.
Straightening the crooked teeth is essential, not just for aesthetic purposes but to maintain good health. There are several orthodontic treatment options you can consider. Let’s look at a few.
3 Types of Braces
If you are wondering about ways to fix crooked teeth, here are three common options.
These are the traditional metal braces that have been around for the longest time. These are made up of metal wires and brackets and are constantly fixed to the teeth.
- As compared to all the teeth straightening treatments, metal braces are the most economical as they have been present for a longer time.
- Since the traditional braces cannot be removed, they are always working to align the teeth and jaw. This ensures faster results.
- These don’t crack or chip easily. Even if they do, they are relatively easy to fix.
- These are highly noticeable and clearly visible from afar.
- Since they are always fixed to your teeth, there are many food restrictions. You cannot eat foods that may break the brackets or get stuck between them.
- You will have to visit your orthodontist at least once a month for adjustments.
- Brushing and flossing can be very difficult.
2. Clear Aligners
Clear aligners are a series of custom-made mouth-guard like aligners. They are removable and need to be replaced every 2 weeks.
- Clear aligners such as 3M clarity aligners are physically comfortable to wear.
- They are practically invisible.
- There are no food restrictions as you can just take the aligners off and eat whatever you want.
- Brushing and flossing are much easier as compared to braces.
- They require less maintenance and can be cleaned very easily.
- They are the most expensive option.
- As they are removable, they can be lost easily if you forget where you kept them.
- There will be some pain as the teeth adjust to the new set of aligners.
- You have to wear them for at least 22 hours per day if you want to get faster results.
3. Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces are similar to metal braces with the only difference being that they have clear or tooth-coloured brackets. Due to their color, these brackets blend into the teeth and are less noticeable.
- They are less visible as compared to metal braces.
- Though tooth-colour is a common choice, they are available in all colors possible. This way everyone, especially kids, can express themselves with their favourite colors.
- They work faster and better as compared to metal braces.
- They don’t disrupt signals in image testing as metal braces do.
- They are more expensive as compared to metal braces.
- They may cause gum sensitivity if they are not cleaned well.
- Comparatively, these are less durable than metal braces.
- Treatment is not as fast as compared to metal braces.
- They can get stained easily and remain that way until they are replaced.
Getting braces or aligners is one of the most effective ways to fix crooked teeth. If you want to learn more about what causes crooked teeth, consult an orthodontist and choose the right treatment option depending upon your requirements.
Dr. Satish Pai is an orthodontist and an Ivy League trained dentist who has and has served as a faculty at Columbia University. He believes that a perfect smile not only makes a person look great but feel great. As the founder of Putnam Orthodontics and a Partner at Rome Orthodontics, he is dedicated to providing the best orthodontic treatments to his patients. He also writes to educate people about everything orthodontics and the importance of correctly aligned teeth along with good oral health. In his free time, you can find him golfing, doing yoga or surfing, and spending time with this family.
Dr Satish Pai
Dentist, Rome Orthodontics NY
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Isreal olabanji is a dental assistant and public health professionals and has years of experience in assisting the dentist with all sorts of dental problems. My goal is to enlighten everyone in all aspects of health towards participating in fitness, Dental care, healthy recipes, child health, obstetrics, and more.