Storing chemicals in different weather conditions can make it hard for you to predict the things. If you are looking out for the guidelines that you need to follow while storing these chemicals in your lab, then this source can help you all the way up. Storing chemicals can be fun, and at the same time, it is hazardous that can cause you many things from lung cancer to death.
- According to NFPA and OSHA, the quantity of chemicals stored in your lab has to be minimized. This can help you in the long run, and you can get a safety measure that can help you to save your life. The quantity if exceeded can cause multiple damages to your system and try to take care of the amount that you are using in your lab.
- If you ever want to store a bulk quantity of any chemical, then you should have a proper space for that thing in your lab. There can be a massive problem if you store such a quantity out in the lab and in the open. So try to get the proper requirements before you decide to take up the step to add bulk quantities.
- Every chemical has its own temperature range, and there are some of the chemicals that fall under almost the same range. If you are storing the chemicals in a storage cabinet, then try to use the container for similar chemicals in order to get the most out of it. It will surely help you to get your chemicals in the safest state possible.
- Whenever you are Storing chemicals in the lab or even if the storage desiccator cabinet, always writes down the date on the chemical storage. This will help you to remember if the chemical is all good to use up or it is not useful. If you use up such chemicals that are useless than it can create problems and you may end up getting failed experiments.
- You should check up on your chemicals every week and check if they are alright or not. There can be some chemicals that got contaminated even by air, and if you find such chemicals, then you should give it a fresh chemical. Indications for the contamination includes –
- Change in colors
- Cloudiness in liquid
- Some granules type formations on the bottom
- Pressure build up
- When you are using up the lab’s storage container, then it has a lid that doesn’t let the chemicals to fall off the shelf. Try to prevent this by taking severe precautions and whenever you see some chemicals hanging off the shelf. Keep a track on this, and it can help you to get a long way up to the top.
Last modified: 2019-03-18