Do you sometimes feel an involuntary bulging, hardness, or tightness in your muscles? Well, that could be a muscle spasm or pain. There are various reasons behind this acute pain. It can happen to anyone, irrespective of age. Besides, it could happen in various body parts, such as feet, abdomen, hands, and arms.
Most people with back pain and neck pain go through muscle spasms. Moreover, pregnant women are prone to spasms because of an increase in their weight in a short time. Menstruating women go through muscle cramps caused by uterine contractions. Muscle spasms are also a side-effect of muscular dystrophy, McArdle's disease, and multiple sclerosis.
Most of the time, muscle spasms are too painful. However, with time various remedies have come to treat the issue. There are over-the-counter remedies, such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen. But long term use of these can cause various side effects. To avoid it, you can shift to some valuable herbs and do not cause many side effects. Through this post, you will learn some of those herbs.
Remedies for Muscle Pain
Lavender Essential Oil
For a long time, a beautiful gift of nature, purple in color and good in aroma, has been used in various health remedies for sleep, relieving pain, and easing anxiety. Here are some things to know about its effect on muscles.
- A study in 2012 suggests that inhaling essential oil from lavender might relieve pain related to migraine compared to a placebo. A similar kind of research suggests that lavender has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and pain-relieving effects on animals.
- That means lavender might also help with muscle pain. However, stay careful while using it. The dosage and ingredients of these essential oils are not under the regulation of the Food and Drug Association. Thus, contact a professional before using it.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil derived from Rosmarinus officinalis L. or rosemary plant is known for its pain-relieving properties.
- Research reveals that rosemary plants might support the treatment of bone pain, seizures, headache, and muscle pain. Some things to know about the plant are:
- This helpful herb might also reduce inflammation, boost memory, and provide muscle relaxation. A clinical trial suggests that rosemary oil decreased acute pain in people going through opiate withdrawal.
According to researchers, the rosemary plant affects the opioid receptors present in the brain. These receptors deal with various body pains. Thus, it might also decrease muscle pain.
CBD Flower Oils
Have you heard of top-quality CBD flowers? Well, CBD is one of the cannabinoids of Cannabis Sativa plants. It is well known for its various benefits. One of them is pain reduction, acute and chronic. Here are some things to know about its possible pain management capability.
- A review in 2020 suggests that CBD might improve sleep, reduce chronic pain, and manage inflammation. However, the effects are specific to conditions.
- A study in 2016 published in the European Journal of Pain suggests that topical application of CBD helps decline inflammation and symptoms of pain, with negligible side effects. Besides, a 2017 review suggests that CBD might also benefit people with chronic neuropathy pain. The study was performed in an animal model where researchers topically applied CBD gel to rats with arthritis for 4 days.
Although the research on the benefits of CBD for muscle pain is limited, the anecdotal evidence speaks for itself. There is an abundance of people who have experienced relief in muscle pain after using top-quality CBD flowers. FDA has also approved epidiolex, a form of CBD, for seizures.
Essential oils from the Eucalyptus plant might reduce swelling, pain, and inflammation in the human body. Some of the things to know about the oil are:
- According to a study in 2013, eucalyptus oil comparatively worked better than almonds oil in relieving pain. In the study, people going through knee replacement surgery inhaled eucalyptus oil for half an hour a day for 3 days.
- Before applying eucalyptus oil topically, dilute it as a carrier oil. Also, keep the oil away from children and pets. Eucalyptus oil is not for swallowing directly. Even when you apply topically, do a spot check.
Many people use Capsaicin, available in chili pepper, as a natural pain reliever. Here are some things to know about it.
- The material causes a mild tingling and burning sensation when someone applies it to the effects area.
- A study in 2011 states that Capsaicin topical patches and creams play a vital role in pain management. Various remedies for pain relief contain Capsaicin.
However, researchers cannot tell the exact reason behind this property of Capsaicin. Most of them believe that Capsaicin works with nociceptors fibers that reduce the skin's sensitivity to pain.
Zingiber officinale or ginger is a well-known root that shows promising results in pain management. Some things about this root are:
- A study in 2015 reveals the pain-relieving properties of GInger. In the study, the participants administered ginger for at least 5 days. The amount of ginger was 2 grams regularly. The people going through muscle pain caused due to running and exercise witnessed an improvement in their pain.
- You can easily add ginger to your tea and smoothies. You can also choose supplements that contain ginger. However, it is better to use raw, natural ginger.
Bachelor's button or feverfew is a natural plant. Here are things to know about it.
- Feverfew is traditionally used in treating migraine, toothaches, fever, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It contains substances that might reduce muscle spasms and inflammation. Most researchers believe that the primary active compound in the plant is flavonoids and sesquiterpene lactones.
A review in 2011 concluded that feverfew leaves and flowers have pain-relieving and analgesic properties. So, these are some of the natural herbs that you can use for relief in muscle pain.
Most people prefer natural remedies over chemicals. It benefits them in many ways. A review on long-term use of acetaminophen relates it to an increased risk of bleeding tracts, heart attacks, and impaired kidney functions. Besides, some researchers connect long-term use of ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with risks of kidney failure, strokes, and stomach ulcers. On the other hand, most natural remedies also positively affect mental health.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?