The amount of minerals in bananas and their peels has led some people to accept the facts that banana peel can whiten teeth. The process is that y
Last Updated on
The amount of minerals in bananas and their peels has led some people to accept the facts that banana peel can whiten teeth. The process is that you will rub the inside of the peel on your teeth for a couple of minutes before or after you brush them. Supporters claim that after rubbing your teeth with the peel daily for about two or three weeks, you should have a whiter smile.
How to whitening teeth with a banana peel?
Bananas are nutritious. One medium banana contains 422 milligrams of potassium, 32 mg of magnesium and 3 grams of fiber, according to the Nigeria | Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
That’s right, the high amounts of potassium, magnesium, and manganese in the ripe banana can be applied to the teeth to remove stains and whiten your teeth.
6 steps to whiten your teeth with a banana peel
Below are the steps we suggest if you want to use this homemade, and proven method of banana peel whiten result:
- Get a banana that is just ripe (it may still have trace amounts of green at each end, but not too much). Using a banana at this level of ripeness ensures that the peel contains optimal levels of potassium (which is the substance that really brightens the teeth);
- Open the banana by peeling it from the bottom end and upward. Not only does this prevent all of those strange banana “threads” from appearing, but it also lets you have more control over the peel (peel with your mouth);
- Take a small piece of the inside of the peel (you can use kitchen shears to cut off a manageable square) and begin gently rubbing this along your teeth;
- Keep the application going for two minutes and be sure you are covering each of the teeth as much as possible with the material inside of the peel;
- As you rub and pass the time, the minerals will be absorbed into the teeth and begin to promote the whitening.
- Brush with your preferred toothpaste, rinse, and smile with your brighter and whiter teeth!
Can a banana peel really whiten teeth?
The idea that banana peels actually whiten people’s teeth is based on people’s evidence. Personal blogs and beliefs that claim the procedure work, but there haven’t been any scientific studies examining the effectiveness of banana peels when it comes to removing stains from teeth.
The Nigerian Dental Association (NDA) in conjunction with other bodies offer no such claim on the use of banana peels to whiten teeth. But it does have an opinion on using other types of fruit too, such as strawberries, orange peels, and lemons, to get a brighter smile. While you can enjoy the nutritional benefits of fruits by eating them, you may not get clear results when you try to whiten your teeth with them. The high acid content in many fruits can actually end up hurting your teeth, not helping them.
What is the best way to whiten your teeth
- Colgate. Teeth Whitening
- South East Family Dental