Pregnant women who are considering natural pain relief methods during childbirth should check out TENS machine for sale. These devices are designed to help pregnant women manage their labour pain.
Nothing is more fulfilling to most women than being able to carry a pregnancy to term and give birth to a healthy kid. However, the process of bringing a child to this world can be accompanied by incredible pain. Labour pain is, hands down, one of the worst physical pains a woman could ever go through. Luckily, and thanks to the technological advancements and innovations, women no longer have to contend with the pain or take strong painkillers to feel ‘normal’ during labour.
If you are approaching your due date and are considering pain management options, you may want to check out TENS machine for sale. TENS (or transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is a battery-powered machine that you can use to treat pain. The device works by delivering small electrical impulses via electrodes that contain pads covered in a firm gel that attaches to your skin. It’s these electrical impulses that flood your nervous system, minimizing its ability to send pain signals to the brain and spinal cord. The impulses also prompt your body to generate endorphins – which are natural pain relievers.
You may use TENS machine even when you aren’t pregnant; however, you will feel downright bizarre – like buzzing, tingling or subtle pricking sensation. But when you are in labour, you’ll find the machine to be soothing and distracting from the rhythmic sensations of contractions
How to use a TENS machine
Since you’ll be heavy, it’s a good idea to have your birth partner or nurse put the adhesive pads on your back. This device comes with an instruction manual that you should follow. Listed below are some how-tos that come with maternity TENS machine:
- Confirm that the device is switched off before putting the pads on your back
- Put two adhesive pads on each side of your spinal cord, with the top part of the pad just below the bra line
- Put the other two pads lower down, around the level of your lower back dimples, slightly above your bottom
- Turn on the machine, beginning with lowest setting controls – you can then adjust the controls slowly as the contractions get stronger or when the back pain worsens
- Hit the boost button when a contraction reaches its peak – this functionality causes a more intense, wave-like buzzing or tingling sensations
- Turn off the boost button when the contraction subsides so you can feel its benefits whenever you have a contraction
- Do not plant yourself in one location, instead, move around to feel in control and also enhance the functionality of the device
- Don’t lose hope just yet if you feel as though the device isn’t having any effect on you – some patients report feeling its impact after an hour of use
- If the adhesiveness of the pads starts to wear off, put some few drops of water on the gel side and place them back on. You’ll enjoy better results when the pads hold firmly to your body
- In the unlikely event that you don’t feel any relief even after an hour or so of use, you can take it off. You are in control and know what’s working and what’s not working for you
When not to use TENs
- A TENS machine is a great way to manage your labour pains without drugs – however, it’s important to note that these devices cannot be used in water because of the electric aspect. So, it might not be the right option for you if you have a water birth.
- You cannot use the machine before going into labour
- You also cannot use it if you have epilepsy, a healing scar or broken skin where you want to stick the pads. Other cases where the device is not recommended include when you have a heart rhythm issue or a cardiac pacemaker or if you have pain that you do not think is labour pain.
Benefits of using the TENS machine
- It is easy to use
- It still allows you to move around comfortably
- It is safe for both you and the baby
- It does not interfere with your labour directly
- You can use it for as long as you’d like to and remove it at any time
- You don’t need someone’s help to use it
- You can use it during a home birth
- It has no long-term side effects
- It gives you full control
In addition to labour pains, the TENS machine can be used to treat the following symptoms
- Period pain
- Neck and back pain
- Postoperative pain
- Joint pain
- The device can also alleviate the pain that arises from:
- Sports injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Painful diabetic neuropathy
- Multiple sclerosis
- The Many Roles of an Oncology Nurse
- Neck pain and Shoulder Pain: Causes and Treatment Recommendations
- The Kenny Method of Treating Polio
- Menstrual pain: How to stop discomfort and absence of menstruation.
- 5 Types of Tooth Pain (and When to Take It Seriously)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?