What is a tongue Scraper?
A tongue scraper (also called a tongue cleaner or tongue brush) is an oral hygiene device specially designed to clean the coating on the upper surface of the tongue.
The large surface area is anatomical features of the tongue that promote tongue coating by retaining microorganisms and oral debris consisting of food, saliva, and dead epithelial cells. A tongue scraper is done less often than tooth brushing, flossing, and using the correct mouthwash.
Why Use a Tongue Scraper?
Types of Tongue Cleaning or scraper Tools
Using Your Tongue scraper
- Rinse your tongue scraper before and after using it to remove bacteria and food debris that may be present.
- Start cleaning at the back of your tongue, and work your way forward.
- Scrape and clean the entire top and side surfaces of your tongue, not just the center.
- If you use a tongue brush, move it the same way you moved the tongue scraper from the back of the tongue to the front of the tongue. You may have to use this method a few times in order to adequately clean your entire tongue.
- Rinse the tongue brush or tongue scraper off after you use it to remove bacteria and any food debris from the areas of the tongue you cleaned.
- Rinse your mouth after cleaning your tongue.