Experiencing a malfunctioning LG dishwasher touchpad can be incredibly frustrating, as it renders a kitchen appliance practically useless. However, understanding the root cause of this issue and knowing how to address it is crucial.
In most cases, a malfunction in the LG dishwasher touchpad occurs due to several factors, including a faulty main control board, the activation of the control lock, unresponsive buttons, or a defective control panel. Additionally, issues may arise if the touchpad is dirty or if it has been touched with wet hands.
In this comprehensive guide, I will outline each of these problems and provide step-by-step instructions on how to rectify them. The primary focus will be on DIY solutions, allowing you to restore your appliance's functionality from the comfort of your own home, without the need for expensive repair services.
Why is My LG Dishwasher Touchpad Not Working?
1. Main Control Board May Be Faulty
If your LG dishwasher is experiencing touchpad problems due to a malfunctioning main control board, you can resolve this issue by troubleshooting the main control board and replacing it with a new one if it's found to be faulty. Here are the steps to replace the control board:
- Turn off the Power Supply: Ensure that the power supply to your dishwasher is turned off to prevent any electrical hazards.
- Access the Control Board:
- Open the dishwasher door and locate the screws securing the outer door panel.
- Carefully unthread these screws to release the outer door panel.
- Detach the Control Panel:
- After removing the outer door panel, you will be able to access the control panel.
- Unthread the screws that hold the control panel in place.
- Disconnect the following wire harnesses:
- Light display wire harness
- Display board wire harnesses
- Power switch connector
- Pay attention to the orientation of these connectors as you disconnect them to ensure correct reconnection.
- Remove the Old Control Board:
- Locate the screws securing the old control board to the panel.
- Depress any tabs that hold the control board in place and carefully pull the old control board out.
- Install the New Control Board:
- Align the new main control board with the panel and firmly snap it into place.
- Secure the control board to the panel by tightening the screws.
- Reconnect Wires:
- Appropriately reconnect all the control board wires, making sure they are securely fastened with the retainers.
- Reconnect the power switch connector, light display wire harness, and display board wire harnesses.
- Reposition the Control Panel:
- Carefully reposition the control panel back into its original position.
- Secure the Outer Door Panel:
- Re-install the outer door panel and secure it by tightening the screws.
- Restore Power and Test:
2. Control Child Lock is Active
The control lock function is designed to prevent interruptions while the dishwasher is actively running a cycle. When you activate the child lock (control lock) feature, it effectively locks every key on your touchpad, ensuring that unintended actions do not interfere with the dishwasher's operation. This feature can be particularly useful for preventing young children from accidentally operating the machine.
However, it's important to remember that you must deactivate the control lock function before setting a new cycle to run. Otherwise, the touchpad will remain unresponsive to any commands.
To deactivate the control lock feature, follow these steps:
- Locate the child lock button on your dishwasher's control panel.
- Press and hold the child lock button for approximately 3 seconds.
By doing this, you will disable the control lock function, allowing you to use the touchpad normally and select new cycles or make adjustments as needed.
Pros and Cons of LG Dishwasher
- Efficient Cleaning
- Quiet Operation
- Energy Efficiency
- Innovative Features
- Limited Service Availability
- Size and Installation
Dishwashers are primarily used for cleaning and sanitizing kitchen items, reducing the need for manual dishwashing.
Dryers are primarily used for drying clothes, ensuring they are ready to wear or fold after laundering.
Alternative to LG dishwasher
Bosch is known for its high-quality and reliable dishwashers. They offer a range of models with different features and price points, including quiet operation and energy efficiency.
3. The Control Panel May Be Faulty
If you're experiencing issues such as unresponsive touchpad buttons, incorrect display readings, or random beeping from your dishwasher, it's possible that the control panel is malfunctioning. To address this problem, you can follow these steps to replace the control panel:
- Disconnect the Power:
- Ensure the dishwasher is unplugged from its power source to ensure safety during the replacement process.
- Access the Control Panel:
- Open the dishwasher door.
- Locate and remove the screws that secure the inner door panel to the outer door panel. This will grant you access to the control panel.
- Remove the Control Panel:
- Carefully pull the control panel away from the door.
- Look for and depress the locking tabs that hold the electric connector in place.
- Install the New Control Panel:
- Place the new control panel in position.
- Appropriately connect the wires to the new control panel, ensuring a secure and proper connection.
4. Only The Touchpad Could Be Faulty
The touchpad might have a defect. To diagnose whether the issue lies with the touchpad itself, conduct a test.
An effective way to test it is by pressing all the keys on the touchpad to identify which ones are responsive and which ones are unresponsive.
If you notice that certain buttons are working while others aren't, it's advisable to purchase a new touchpad as a replacement.
I would suggest considering replacing the entire control panel instead of solely replacing the touchpad.
Nonetheless, if you're constrained by budget considerations, replacing just the touchpad can still resolve the problem.
5. Your Hands Are Wet
Your LG dishwasher may not respond to your touches due to the presence of water on your hands.
Similar to the screen on your smartphone, the touchpad of your LG dishwasher can exhibit erratic behaviour when operated with wet hands.
Furthermore, prolonged exposure of the touchpad to water increases the likelihood of it losing its sensitivity.
To prevent any inconveniences, it's essential to ensure your hands are dry before using the touchpad on your LG dishwasher.
6. There’s Dirt Around the Touchpad
Another potential explanation for the touchpad on your LG dishwasher not functioning correctly or not working at all is the accumulation of dirt.
Fortunately, dirt buildup does not pose a significant risk to your dishwasher.
You can resolve this problem by cleaning the touchpad with a soft bristle brush and a small amount of electronic cleaner, which effectively eliminates grease and dirt.
In conclusion, when faced with the issue of an LG dishwasher touchpad not working, it's essential to consider various potential causes. Whether it's due to wet hands or dirt buildup, addressing the problem is often a straightforward process.
By ensuring your hands are dry before use and periodically cleaning the touchpad with a soft bristle brush and electronic cleaner, you can restore its functionality and maintain the smooth operation of your LG dishwasher.
Regular maintenance and simple precautions can go a long way in ensuring that your dishwasher touchpad continues to work as intended, keeping your kitchen routine hassle-free.