Let’s face it, we all struggle with finding enough time in the day to get adequate movement and exercise. But did you know that using a rowing machine is one of the most effective ways to both engage with cardio and build muscle strength at the same time? Using a rowing machine is one of the few exercises that works out your entire body and you can experience a range of health benefit from using one for even just minutes out of your day.
But we all know there are countless exercise programs and equipment out there. So what makes a rowing machine so beneficial and unique? Well, that’s what we’re here to answer for you. Here, we’re taking a closer look at rowing machines and reviewing some of the top health benefits to using these innovative pieces of exercise equipment. Enjoy the health benefit of rowing without ever having to hit the high seas.
What is a Rowing Machine?
A rowing machine, also known as an indoor rower, is an exercise machine designed to imitate the motion of rowing a watercraft. Designed for both training and general exercise purposes, rowing machines are commonly found in almost any gym and are ideal for an at-home piece of exercise equipment. Smaller than other types of machinery and easier to fold away and store than a massive treadmill, rowing machines have become increasingly popular. And on top of that, they can offer an incredibly effective workout, too.
5 Benefits of Rowing Machines
So, what’s all the excitement about when it comes to these rowing machines? Unlike other pieces of exercise equipment, a rower can offer unique benefits to the user and offer a full body workout unlike any other.
Here are 5 of the top benefits of using a rowing machine:
1. Full body workout: if you’re looking to save time in your workout, you’ll want something that works out your entire body or at least multiple muscle groups. That’s why rowers are so effective for those on a time crunch. The rowing stroke motion consists of roughly 75 percent leg and lower body work and 25 percent upper body work. Thus, your whole body is engaged during this motion. Rowing is a great way to target your quads, calves, gluts, pecs, arms, and obliques.
2. Low impact exercise: some cardio like running or jogging can have a negative affect on your joints due to the impact on concrete, sidewalks, or even a treadmill surface. Rowing, on the other hand, is a low impact exercise that is kind to your joints and your body. This makes a row machine ideal for athletes in active recovery. It’s also the perfect workout for anyone in the early stages of osteoarthritis.
3. Ideal for all fitness levels: rowing machines are one of the true equalizers when it comes to workout gear. Practically anyone, regardless of age or fitness level, can effectively use a rowing machine to get in better shape. As a simple, low impact, and safe form of exercise, rowing machines are ideal for competitive athletes and those in their golden years hoping to maintain an active lifestyle. Rowing machines are built to help everyone boost their fitness and achieve their wellness goals.
4. Great form of cardio: in addition to hitting multiple muscle groups, using a rowing machine is also great for your heart and lungs. Rowing is an effective way to get a solid cardiovascular workout. This strengthens your heart and blood vessels so that your body can more effectively transport oxygen and nutrients throughout your body. It can also reduce your risk of developing various cardiovascular health issues.
5. Workout almost anywhere: while most of us can’t fit an entire gym into our homes, you probably have enough room in your garage, basement, or spare bedroom for a row machine. Small and easy to transport, rowing machines enable you to take in your workout from home, making it more convenient than driving off to the gym after work. This convenience can help you stay more consistent with your fitness goals.
Office Wellness Products
As just mentioned, row machines are great because they can be set up almost anywhere—including your office. To help workers stay fit, motivated, and engaged, more traditional offices are utilizing exercise machines and office wellness products for the physical and mental benefits of their employees. In addition to rowing machines, some offices are also incorporating other office wellness products, such as standing desks, desk treadmills, or bike desks that allow you to easily burn calories while getting work done. Studies also suggest that staying active while at work can improve your focus, boost your mood, and improve overall company morale.
Conclusion – 5 Benefits of Rowing Machines
While it may be a challenge to find time to exercise, this doesn’t mean you should ignore this important routine. Exercising on a regular basis can help you stay healthy, fit, active, and reduce your risk of developing many different health conditions, including type-2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, and even some types of cancer.
If you’re looking to save time and maximize results with your workout, consider using a rowing machine. These simple devices imitate a rowing motion and can provide a quick and effective full body workout. The provide a cardiovascular workout and strength training and these small machines are easy to set up practically anywhere—even in your office. That’s right, whether working from home or in a traditional office, you can easily set up your own rowing machine to make time for a quick workout during your day. Research shows that working out during the day can boost productivity, help you focus and stay sharp, and even boost your mood. Staying productive and fit all at once—what more could you ask for?