Diseases Caused by Worms-Pinworm, Thread- Worm (Enterobius Vermicularis)
What does pinworm mean?
A pinworm infection is one of the most common types of human intestinal.Pinworms are tiny, narrow worms. They’re white in color and less than half an inch long. The male of this species measures only 2 to 4 mm.in length while the female measures 8 to 12mm.in length. A pinworm infection, also known as enterobiasis or oxyuriasis, is the most common type of worm infection in humans in the United States according to the center of disease control and prevention
|Source: ” Basem Bin Omer Bin Ali ” – under creative commons license|
Who are vulnerable to the diseases caused by PinWorms?
The fact is everyone is vulnerable but it affects children often.
Pinworm infections can spread easily. They’re most common in children between the ages of 5 and 10, people who live in institutions, and those who have regular, close contact with individuals in these groups. Infected children spread the eggs of these worms to their playmates.
Children geteggs under the finger-nails. From his nails, the eggs get on hisfood and go into the stomach, where they hatch into worms. Effective treatment for pinworm infections is medication, though reinfection is possible. Serious complications and long-term health effects are rare.
Causes of Pinworm, Enteriobius
The worms are found in all most parts of the world. Pinworms infections are highly contagious. You become infected with pinworms by unintentionally ingesting (or inhaling) pinworm eggs, usually deposited by an infected person onto an object. The cycle of infection begins with the ingestion of these microscopic eggs.This takes placeduring the night.
The eggs hatch out on the moist warm skinand the tiny worms crawl into the rectum to develop into adults.The itching sensation brought about by this activity on thepart of the worms causes the patient to scratch his or herself.
What are the Symptoms That Might likely Occur?
The most common symptom is itching. The femaledeposits the eggs in the skin, causing an inflammationwhich calls for considerable scratching. It is not uncommon tofind a case of acute appendicitis caused by the infestation of pinworms. The worms may also get into the vagina and into theFallopian tubes. All this is nerve-racking to the individual concernedand many times the victim’s disposition becomes markedlyirritable.
- Worms in your stool: Patients may notice bits or whole worms in their stool or sense the movement of them through the anus.
- Weight loss: Pinworms can grow to hundreds of feet in length and can reduce your body nutrients and make you lose weight as they grow. So if you’re losing weight see your doctor.
- Nausea and loss of appetite:If you are not feeling hungry? Pinworms can cause you to feel ill and lose your appetite, due to irritation in your bowels. In some cases, parasites can even induce vomiting or diarrhea in patients.
- Seizures: Some species of pinworm can travel outside of the digestive tract and end up wreaking havoc on other body systems—including the eyes and brain.
How is a Pinworm Infection diagnosed?
If you notice that your child has become irritable and/or is scratching at the rectum, you should besuspicious of thread-worms. Many times you can make yourown diagnosis by rolling the child over in bed after it has goneto sleep and spreading its buttocks to allow a good view ofthe rectum. Upon doing this you may see the worms crawlingin and out of the rectum. If they are not visible take a pieceof scotch tape and press the sticky side against the rectum severaltimes. Stick the tape to a piece of glass or regular glassslide and take it to a laboratory. If eggs are present they can be clearly seen.
What Are The Treatment option For Pinworm or Medication?
- A tight-fitting garment over the hipsto make access tothe rectum difficult, thus preventing scratching.
- A cleansing bath every morning with particularattention to cleaning the rectum.
- Warm enemas each evening.
- Caladryl ointment or lotion win allay the itching.
- Scrub the fingernails with brush and soap before eachmeal.
- Put on freshly laundered underwear every morning.
- Ordinary washing will disinfect.
- It may be well to treat the whole family, for in mostcases if one has the infection the whole family may have it.
- All should be treated at the same time.
- If there is reinfection and repeated treatments havefailed to eradicate the worms, it may be that the house is so
- infested with the worms that it should be cleaned throughout. It has been observed that if the house is kept at a temperature
- of 85° F. For three days and the humidity kept low the eggs willall die. This would mean that some method of heating
- procedure be carried out even though the temperature outside isthis high or higher. The humidity must be lowered.
How Can You Prevent a pinworm infection?
This is most cumbersome, for it is difficultto trace the source of contamination, and all the neighbors children have probably not been treated. Teach the children to wash their hands frequently and to refrain from putting their fingers in their mouths. Scrub the hands well, especially the nails, before each meal.
– Healthline-Pinworm infection
– The New Health and Longevityby A. C. Selmon a. The Oriental Watchman Publishing House.