- 1 What is MUMPS (Segede in Yoruba)? Plus Signs and Symptoms, Causes, Management and Medical Treatment
- 1.1 Myth attached to mumps can cause deafness, meningitis, infertility
- 1.2 RelatedPosts
- 1.3 12 Home Treatment For Pericoronitis Pain And Discomfort
- 1.4 Aquagem Dental Clinic
- 1.5 SS Dental Clinic Lekki
- 1.6 Management of Mumps and Medical Treatments
What is MUMPS (Segede in Yoruba)? Plus Signs and Symptoms, Causes, Management and Medical Treatment
Myth attached to mumps can cause deafness, meningitis, infertility
What Are The Main Sign and symptoms of mumps?
- An incubation period of about 21days is usually followed by;
- Swelling of parotids.
- Both sides are usually affected.
- The swelling is tense, painful and tender.
- After the attack immunity is long lasting.
Cause of mumps
Mumps virus spread rapidly during a respiratory tracts infection that split out when an individual his sneezing or coughing.
Complications of Mumps
Take note of this, untreated mumps may cause infertility later in life, According to a doctor at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital in Idi-Araba, Surulere, Lagos State, of Nigeria, said that the female ovaries might be affected, while it could affect the testes of a male child. Later in life, it can also cause secondary infertility in both opposite sexes.
Mumps can actually, because infertility if not medically treated. Mump orchitis can occur and this is a stage that it affects the testes. It may even cause encephalitis and ultimately affect the brain. The glands under the chin may also become enlarged, swollen and this may result in a slight fever.
Orchitis, which is another complicated condition and a painful one, can also cause sterility in life. Other serious complications may also occur when the mump virus attacks the brain and the nervous system, causing meningoencephalitis.
As a Parent What You Should Look out for in a Child With Mumps?
- Reluctance to eat,
- Difficult to swallow food or even talk,
- Dryness of the mouth,
- Swelling of the chin.
If the virus affects only one side of the chin, the other side of the chin might swell even as the other side goes down.
In an attempt to provide a relief solution for the child and minimize the pain which is felt at the swallowing chin, try and reduce child fruit juices, which will stimulate the salivary glands to produce saliva.
What is the incubation period of mumps?
There is a 14-18-day period between contracting the mumps virus and the onset of signs and symptoms. Viral shedding is short lived and a patient should stay away from other individuals that may be harmed for the first five days following the onset of swelling of the salivary (parotid) glands.
Management of Mumps and Medical Treatments
The main purpose of treatment (irrespective of any age type) is to provide health soothe for this self-limited disease. Giving analgesics drugs like (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) and applying warm or cold compress packs to the swollen and inflamed salivary gland area we do a lot of good and provide relief.
- Antibiotics treatment should be commenced as soon as the sensitivity test is performed.
- Bed rest
- Maintenance and fluid balance.
Medicine Network – Accessed 2018-08-06