13 department of dentistry, oral medicine, cosmetic dentistry, dental public health, orthodontics, restorative dentistry, endodontics, periodontology, geriatric dentistry, and minimal intervention dentistry.
department of dentistry and their Functions
1. Oral surgery: Is the department of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis and surgical treatment of disease.
: Is the department of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of a disease which destroy the supporting tissues of the teeth, it is the branch of dentistry that deals with the treatment and prevention of periodontal disease
e.g gum, alveolar bone, and periodontal membrane.
: is the department of dentistry that deals with the treatment and removal of the pulp.
4. Restorative dentistry: is the department of dentistry that deals with the reconstruction of the crown of teeth and replacement of missing teeth with a fixed bridge e.g fillings inlays, crowns and bridges.
5. Pedodontics: Is the department of dentistry that deals with the problems related to patient’s management and education, restorative procedures. On other words, pedodontics means dentistry for children.
6. Orthodontics: is the department of dentistry that deals with correction of irregularities of teeth or straightening of teeth by using fixed or removable orthodontics appliance e.g malocclusion.
7. Prosthodontics: Is the department of dentistry that deals with the extensive reconstruction of existing teeth and the replacement of missing teeth with various dental restoration and appliances.
8. Conservative dentistry: This department of dentistry deals with the restoration of tissue by means of fillings inlays, crowns, and bridges.
9. Prosthetics: This department of dentistry deals with restoration by full or partial dentures. (Bridges are sometimes regarded as fixed prosthetics)
10. Operative dentistry: Is the department of dentistry that deals with the prevention and treatment of the enamel and dentine of the natural teeth.
11. Oral and maxillofacial surgery: This department of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, surgical, and adjunctive treatment of the diseases, injuries, and defects of the human jaws and associated structures
12. Preventive and Community Dentistry: Is the department of dentistry that deals with the study of etiology (cause) and prevention of oral and dental diseases.
13. Emergency procedure: This refers to some problems attending to without appointment usually in pain such as pulpitis Periapical abscess, pericoronitis and dry socket.
The Department in State Specialist Hospital and its Functions
The department in state specialist hospital are as follows:
1. O.P.D: outpatient department. This is the department that deals, filling, planning, organizing, collating and monitoring of health record with accident and emergency cases.
2. Record Department: This department deals with issuing filling, planning organizing collecting, monitoring of Health records.
3. Laboratory Department: This department deals with scientific research, carrying out experiment and testing of specimens.
4. Almoner: This department deals with money. They receive money and issue out a receipt to the patient.
5. Pharmacy department: This department deals with the preparation and dispensing of drugs.
6. Cardiology department; This department deals with the study of the structure, function, and disease of the heart.
7. Community health department: This department deals with giving immunization, health education, and routine check-up for Children.
8. Eye clinic: This department deals with the treatment of the eye’s disease.
9. Anti-natal clinical and ward: This department deals with pregnant women. They admit a sick patient, giving health education, taking delivery, immunization and routine examination or check up.
10. Postnatal ward: This department admit mothers with their babies.
11. Septic ward: This department admits people with septic infections conditions e.g septicemia, septic condition after delivery.
12. Surgical wards: This department admit patient for surgical operations both male and female. They also take care of accident victims.
13. Medical Ward: This department, deals with diagnosis treatment and prevention of diseases (for both male and female patients).
14. Children’s ward: This department deals with the diagnosis, admission, treatment, and prevention of diseases for children.
15. Radiology department: This: department deals with the study of radiographs or other imaging technologies (such as ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging) to diagnose or treat disease.
16. Chest Clinic: This department deals with the study of the structure, function, and disease of the heart.
17. Morbid anatomy department: This department deals with the keeping of dead and carrying out of postmaster autopsy.
If you have a visit one of this department in a dental clinic or hospital do share your experience and what are your thoughts on dental practice today. And if there is another department in dentistry that has not listed you can share it with us now.