Uses of Dental cements Temporary or semi-permanent fillings To cement in position crowns, inlays, and bridges. To line cavities in order t
Uses of Dental cements
- Temporary or semi-permanent fillings
- To cement in position crowns, inlays, and bridges.
- To line cavities in order to prevent thermal or chemical damage to the pulp.
- Support of remaining weak tooth structure.
The main Dental cements used are :
- Zinc oxide and eugenol
- Accelerated zinc oxide eugenol.
- Specific zinc oxide eugenol products.
- EBA cements.
- Zinc polycarboxylates.
- Zinc and copper phosphates.
- Glass-ionomer cements.
Zinc oxide and eugenol
Table of Contents
Uses of zinc oxide and eugenol
- Protective cavity sub-linings (over which an oxyphosphate lining is placed for resistance to packing and biting pressure).
- Sedative or obtundent (soothing) dressings(eugenol relieves painful hyperemia of the pulp).
- Temporary fillings.
- Pulp caps.
- Root canal fillings.
- Periodontal packs.
Properties of zinc oxide and eugenol
- Consists of a liquid and powder:-powder consists of zinc oxide, magnesium oxide, and zinc acetate (an accelerator ). liquid contains eugenol, olive oil, and acetic acid as an accelerator.
- Sedative action on pulp.
- Prevent conduction of heat to the pulp.
- Very soluble in water.
- Very weak.
For more information: Properties and uses of dental fillings
Accelerated zinc oxide-eugenol
Special zinc oxide-eugenol products
EBA Dental cements
Uses of polycarboxylates
- Cementation of fixed orthodontic appliances.
- Cavity linings.
Properties of zinc polycarboxylates
- They originally consisted of :
a. Powdered zinc oxide with small quantities of magnesium oxide.
a. As a lining, thick mix for strength and lessened risk of pulpal damage as there is a lower proportion of acid.
b. As a cement, slightly thinner to provide a reduced thickness of cement between crown and tooth.
One minute is the usual time for speculation.
Uses of copper dental cements
- To cement splints to the teeth of patients with fractured jaws.
Properties of copper dental cements
- It is similar to zinc phosphate cement, but the powder contains a copper compound in addition to zinc oxide. The color varies according to the type of copper oxide:-
Red if cuprous oxide.
Glass-ionomer (ASPA) dental cements.
Uses of Glass-ionomer dental Cement
- Erosion cavities.
- Deciduous restorations.
- Cementation of porcelain crowns.
- Fissures sealants.
- Consists of a powder and liquid.
Powder relates to silicates, consisting of fused quartz and alumina.